Huge knock level at 8200rpm

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
hnx676

Huge knock level at 8200rpm

Post by hnx676 »

Hi all,

I have been working on the low speed ignition to remove knocking since I got my kpro. This morning, while I am doing a 3k-8.3k full throttle on 3rd gear, I found that everything was well under control, except a huge knock near 4:02 (k level at 4.94V while k thres 3.16V), which is really kinda scary...

Can some one please advice me what could be the cause and how to get rid of it ? Attached is the cal and log.

PS : this is on a JDM DC5 K20A with the following mod :
GruppaM Ram Air Intake, Spoon TB, ITR Intake Manifold, Hondata IMG, ITR header with cat and exhaust, Unorthodox pulley kits (crank, alt, PS). Denso IK22 sparkplugs, TB coolant bypass.

regards,
HY
Attachments
now_mod_hfoo_3-5.kal
(42.36 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
now35_yuas to office.txt
Just download the file, rename the txt to zip and open using winzip.
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 119 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Ignition looks OK, but I see an increase in noise at some points in the rev range (e.g. from 1500 - 2200 rpm). It looks like mechanical noise, not knock. There was a little knock around 3000 rpm at 5:40

Loose valve clearances, a supercharger, non-dampened crank pulleys and loose bolts can cause mechanical noise which is recorded by the ECU as knock.
Hondata
hnx676

Post by hnx676 »

Hondata wrote:Ignition looks OK, but I see an increase in noise at some points in the rev range (e.g. from 1500 - 2200 rpm). It looks like mechanical noise, not knock. There was a little knock around 3000 rpm at 5:40

Loose valve clearances, a supercharger, non-dampened crank pulleys and loose bolts can cause mechanical noise which is recorded by the ECU as knock.
Thanks Hondata! I am using the pulley set from unorthodox racing and this include a crank pulley... Any idea if it's of the dampened type ? How do we determine if it's the noise source ?

I am going to spend this week end tightening all the bolts ....
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I'm not saying this is the cause of your knock reading, but the only crank pulleys to run are stock Honda or a fluid dampened pulley. I don't think there are any fluid dampened pulleys for the K series yet, but you'll know one where you see one (and by the price). See http://www.fluidampr.com/

The machined aluminum pulleys will allow the crank nose to vibrate a lot. You can always tell an engine which has used a non-stock crank pulley because the crank nose main bearing are much more worn than the other bearings. Any domestic engine builder would never dream of running an engine without a harmonic balancer, even on internally balanced engines, as they have known for years why the damper is necessary.
Hondata
hnx676

Post by hnx676 »

Hondata wrote:I'm not saying this is the cause of your knock reading, but the only crank pulleys to run are stock Honda or a fluid dampened pulley. I don't think there are any fluid dampened pulleys for the K series yet, but you'll know one where you see one (and by the price). See http://www.fluidampr.com/

The machined aluminum pulleys will allow the crank nose to vibrate a lot. You can always tell an engine which has used a non-stock crank pulley because the crank nose main bearing are much more worn than the other bearings. Any domestic engine builder would never dream of running an engine without a harmonic balancer, even on internally balanced engines, as they have known for years why the damper is necessary.
Wow! just learn something new today ...

The crank pulley just went on less then 5000Km... So does that means it's not recommended to install it ? How long will it take to ruin the crank nose bearing?