K-Pro calibration on JDM K20A

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
hnx676

K-Pro calibration on JDM K20A

Post by hnx676 »

Hi all,

I have a JDM DC5R and recently just got myself a K-Pro. I am starting off using calibration k20a2-rsx-310cc-itrcams-jrhdr-cai.cal.

I understand that the compression of K20A is higher so I have been trying to retard some ignition base on dataloging I have done during normal commuting. So far it has been progressing. Anything I shold be watching out for this ?

I also notice that I am getting much more troque in 2k-4k rpm but from 4k til 6k, I feel that something seems to be dragging on the engine and the car seems to be slower then before ... What should I do ? I did not change the vtec setting.

One thing that I should be mentioning is that I have the following mod :
GruppaM Ram Air Intake, Spoon TB, ITR Intake Manifold, Hondata IMG, ITR header with cat and exhaust, Unorthodox pulley kits (crank, alt, PS). Denso IK22 sparkplugs.

Attached is the modified calibration I am using. Hope some of the expert in this forum can give me some advice.

Thanks,
HY
Attachments
now_mod_hfoo_4.kal
(42.36 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
hnx676

Post by hnx676 »

Hi all,

After several round of dataloging and retarding the ignition, I am more or less removing all the knocking. Now I am waiting for a really warm day to do some final testing.

As for the dragging effect I experienced at 4k - 6k rpm, I tried to look in the direction of fuel trim and I follow the suggestion on
http://www.pencomputing.com/rsx/adjusting_fuel.html.
I did a full throttle run from 2.5k-8k rpm on 3rd gear.
So in one of the datalog, particularly at 5:02 til 5:16 in the attached datalog, I notice the AF was a flatline at around 11.5 from 5:03 til around 5:09 (4k - 6k rpm). It bacomes 12.5 ~ 12.8 from 5:09 til 5:13 (6k til 7.9 k)

Is this related to what I experience at 4k til 6k rpm ? If yes, how should I fix it ? For NA JDM K20A, what is the ideal AF ? 13.2 ?

regards,HY
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

No datalog attached, anyhow, it sounds like the car is quite rich from 4000 - 6000 rpm, and a little rich from 6000 rpm up. If VTEC is at 4000 rpm, and you run rich immediately after VTEC, then this is a sign that your exhaust is restrictive.

I would aim for 13.0 - 13.4 A/F at full throttle, but it is best to check on a dyno as the A/F for maximum power varies a little, and tends to be on the rich side for the K20A (around 13.0:1).

I would have a good look at the exhaust as it could be restricting your setup. Again, the dyno will tell you if it is.
Hondata
hnx676

Post by hnx676 »

Hondata wrote:No datalog attached, anyhow, it sounds like the car is quite rich from 4000 - 6000 rpm, and a little rich from 6000 rpm up. If VTEC is at 4000 rpm, and you run rich immediately after VTEC, then this is a sign that your exhaust is restrictive.

I would aim for 13.0 - 13.4 A/F at full throttle, but it is best to check on a dyno as the A/F for maximum power varies a little, and tends to be on the rich side for the K20A (around 13.0:1).

I would have a good look at the exhaust as it could be restricting your setup. Again, the dyno will tell you if it is.
Thanks for the info. My header is stock JDM ITR header and the cat is still in place. The exhaust is also stock JDM ITR. I have access to a fujishubo catback now, but would replacing the exhaust help a lot if I keep the header and cat ? (Now no more budget for a new header, just bought the k-pro)

If I keep the same setup, ITR header, cat and stock ITR exchaust, is it advisable to trip the fuel at 4k-6k rpm to get the desired AF ratio of 13.0?
The cal I am using is from the K20A with ITR cam and IM. I only retard the ignition to get rid of the Knock (from higher compression ). DId not change the fuel at all.
I can only upload my cal but the datalog is too big and the forum don't like file with zip extention... Would very much like to have you look at my datalog ... Any suggestion ? Would a snapshot help ? Please see attached.

regards,
HY
Attachments
now_mod_hfoo_4.kal
(42.36 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
datalog.txt
Please renamed this datalog.txt to datalog.zip and use winzip to open and extract the datalog file.
(808.68 KiB) Downloaded 127 times