totaled my Hondata'd 02 RSXS have a question

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
mr. mis-shift

totaled my Hondata'd 02 RSXS have a question

Post by mr. mis-shift »

I totaled my 02 about a month ago and just bought an 05. insurance let me buy it back from them for a fair deal. i salvaged what i could with the most important thing being the ECU because i had the #4 program on it should i think of getting another 02-04. just as the car was towed into the metal recycling facility i realized that i forgot to remove the imobilizer.. doh

i still have the original ECU and key and am just wondering if i'm still able to purchase any future Hondata products for my 05 without it being full price of what a new customer would pay for.

for example an 02-04 owner would have an exhisting reflash and decide to upgrade to the KPRO. that owner wouldn't have to pay full price but a discounted price because of already having purchased a previous product.

this is from what i've read about on Hondata products pls correct me if i'm wrong. so i'd just like to know if i'm still good for that if it is true. thanks in advance.

the mis-shifter
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The immobilizer is no big deal - the Acura dealer can re-program the ECU to any immobilizer/key/ECU combination.

You would get a discount if you wanted to convert to a KPro and sent the same ECU in. You would not qualify if you sold the ECU. It's hard to say for on 05 RSX since we do not have any products for that model yet.
Hondata
lanman2000

Post by lanman2000 »

Hondata wrote:The immobilizer is no big deal - the Acura dealer can re-program the ECU to any immobilizer/key/ECU combination.
the dealer can reprogram the ECU to match someone else's key/immobilizer even with the kpro daughterboard sitting there? The dealer wont mess up the kpro daughterboard??

i need to know this because i'm trading ECUs with someone later today.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The KPro makes no different to the key/immobilizer/ecu matching from the dealer.
Hondata
mr. mis-shift

Post by mr. mis-shift »

Hondata wrote:The immobilizer is no big deal - the Acura dealer can re-program the ECU to any immobilizer/key/ECU combination.

You would get a discount if you wanted to convert to a KPro and sent the same ECU in. You would not qualify if you sold the ECU. It's hard to say for on 05 RSX since we do not have any products for that model yet.
I really need to sell my 02 motor now with the Hondata ECU as encouragement.. but this would exclude me from a discount when time comes around to install Hondata on my 05. Would it be possible to send in my 02 Hondata ECU in now to validate my ownership so I can upgrade my 05 later? Thank you.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

We do not have any 05 specific products, and it may be some time before we do.

You only get upgrade pricing if you are upgrading from a reflash - if you have sold the ECU, then the new owner will qualify, but you will not.
Hondata
lanman2000

Post by lanman2000 »

Hondata wrote:The KPro makes no different to the key/immobilizer/ecu matching from the dealer.
all the Acura dealers i have called will not touch the Kpro ecu to flash it for the other guy's car. What do i do??

How much would it be to take the kpro off of my ECU and install it on the guys thats buying it from me. Maybe that route would be less painless??
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The problem is you are giving the dealer too much information....just tell them you need the keys rekeyed to the immobilizer...that is all.
lanman2000

Post by lanman2000 »

Spunkster wrote:The problem is you are giving the dealer too much information....just tell them you need the keys rekeyed to the immobilizer...that is all.
but its not the keys that have changed. The ECU is changed. The keys and immobilizer in the steering column are the same. Maybe i'm just being TOO descriptive. I dunno. Either way i think all acura service writers need to know about this kind of thing.