EG K20A swap issue (lean protection)

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
dglidden

EG K20A swap issue (lean protection)

Post by dglidden »

Just swapped a K20A into my EG civic. Its using stock injectors, with a Walbro fuel pump. The only bolt ons are a 3 inch intake, k tuned ram style header, and custom 3 inch exhaust.

When trying to give the car more than partial throttle I am hitting lean protection and the AFR spikes up to >30. I tried adjusting the lean protection trigger timer to .500ms and the same thing continues to happen.

I am attaching my config along with 2 datalog examples of this happening. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Attachments
cutouttest02.kdl
(41.6 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
cutouttest01.kdl
(85.17 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
k20a-dono2.kal
(163.1 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
dglidden

Re: EG K20A swap issue (lean protection)

Post by dglidden »

the only progress I've made on this is someone on this forum saying "increase the trigger timer until the cutoff stops happening, then tune it out" but like, what does that mean? Wouldnt running lean cause engine damage? I went from 250ms to 500ms. How long is dangerous?

Also could these high AF ratios be the result of a bad O2 sensor?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If it is running that lean then you need to add more fuel to the area of the map that is too lean.
dglidden

Post by dglidden »

so if anyone comes across this forum the issue ended up being the fuel filter.

I kept trying to put fuel into the map and it still wasnt working. Took it to a tuner and on the dyno we watched the fuel pressure go from 50 to 0 on pulls. I was using the ktuned fuel filter that came with my center fuel rail and the tuner said that its likely way undersized even for a stock k20. I threw in a Fuellabs filter and it works great now on a base map, still runs alittle lean in the mid range (apparently a problem with race headers) but it can be fixed now.

You'd assume the ktuned kit would work out the box but I dont think its correct.