A/C for K-Pro D17?

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
snyderkj717

A/C for K-Pro D17?

Post by snyderkj717 »

My wiring is completely stock, D17A2, 3-pin A/C compressor, connected to factory harness.

ACSW does not show as being activated in K-Manager when I press button in cabin. No green light comes on when I press switch.

A/C worked before K-Pro Install.

Do I need to switch some pins around on the harness going into the ECU?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: A/C for K-Pro D17?

Post by Spunkster »

What is the part number that is on your ECU?
snyderkj717

Post by snyderkj717 »

I apologize for the late response, Spunkster.

KPro SN: K-Pro4 52738
ECU PN: 37820-PND-A06
ECU SN: 2062-602504-0C25
Current K-Manager installed: 4.4.3
D17 AEM Timing Gear installed.

2005 Honda Civic EX M/T, all factory.
E18 on my car is a red wire for the A/C clutch.
A/C Compressor is a three wire.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The only wires that should be changed are listed at: https://www.hondata.com/kpro/kpro-d17

The AC is is operated through the multiplex system.
snyderkj717

Post by snyderkj717 »

I'll troubleshoot some more than. Multiplexer is set to normal in K-Manager, and everything else seems to be functioning through the multiplexer.
I didn't change any wires.
The '04-'05 Civic EX Coupe M/T ECM sub-wire harness already has the SHO2S on the E connector with white, red stripe wire in E2, and black, white stripe wire in E6.
So, it seems like it's an issue with something else and not the K-Pro.

Thanks!
snyderkj717

Post by snyderkj717 »

Update:

I forgot to plug in the EVAP Temp Sensor.
The A/C works normal. I had it fixed back in Sept. 2020.
I swapped the two sub-wire harnesses under my dash to M/T, from A/T, along with a matching Multiplexer for a '05 M/T EX Coupe.
I had to unplug the EVAP Temp Sensor to thread the ECM wire-loom around the dashboard wire-loom.
I doubled checked all my connections on the sub-harnesses.
I missed the EVAP I unplugged from the MAIN dash harness.
blownintegra1

Post by blownintegra1 »

Okay.

Owner of Hondata since 2002. S100, s300, Flashpro and now Kpro.

Haven't had any problems with any until Kpro.

Have stock 2002 civic ex d17.

Car ran fine with STOCK ecu.

No issues, no dash lights, no alternator or electrical issues. Car is bone stock, except for cam pulley and kpro.

BONE STOCK. Even has factory exhaust and airbox.

I've am having an issue with the a/c cycling off and on even with the switch off.

It will freeze up the system, 32 degrees out of the vent. Also, the alternator light stays on all of the time.

The ac will cycle every 3 seconds until it maxes out, then will wait approximately 10-15 seconds to reduce temperature then cycle.

Also key in RUN, both fans are running, even though the engine is not started. AC switches is off, interior fan is off. Is not in defrost mode.

I've replaced the thermal sensor because it cycled so hard in a 30 mile trip.

I have tried the PRA calibration using the d17 stock ex using stock narrowband, swapping the two wires per hondata instructions.

I have tried the PRB calibration using the OEM style wideband, completely rewiring it for wideband, new sensor, relay, etc.

This isn't the first wideband conversion I have done.

The kpro was new purchased by me, and just installed recently 1 month ago.

The car runs fine if I shut off the multiplexer, but its 104 outside and the ac works, so I don't understand the problem.

I put everything back to stock and everything ran perfectly to verify. No ac cycling on and off.

I then reinstalled the cam pulley, and try the kpro again AND AGAIN, the car would cycle the ac on and off continously with either pra or prb calibration with the correct O2 sensor and wiring.

The car passed emissions with the multiplex off and the wideband conversion. We have OBD2 plug in here in Texas, so all ready codes were reset properly. All 4 available codes showed ready.

I even bought a brand new multiplex unit for the car to test. I swapped and checked the underhood relays, check for any possible wiring issues and none found.

I swapped a new OEM alternator, that works on another car.

Between the dash ac switches, the multiplex, relays, alternator and swap time. I'm in another $1k in parts.

I've seen this complaint before, and the standard answer is, check wiring.

I've done that.

I understand that the ac switch functions off a ground short via ecu signal. It's like the ecu is using the factory pin something else, like is grounding for another signal.

The only thing I don't have is another Kpro ecu.

The donor ecu was a crv manual ecu 37820-ppa-a04 and was sent to hondata for installation.

Kpro board is white, v4 and 53164.

Again, the car runs great if I shut off the multiplex, but I need air conditioning.

Is there something incompatible with my set up? Do I need a different multiplex unit for a crv?

The software is the most up-to-date, per the forced download from hondata.

Thanks in advance. I just want this setup to work as it should.

I appreciate any input
blownintegra1

Post by blownintegra1 »

Follow up

Added data log with wideband, multiplexer off and calibration
3 min datalog.kdl
(4.21 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
Hondata version 4.5.1.0 Build 2391
Release date 12/5/2021, exp date 8/5/22
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You should try your ECU in a known working vehicle and see if it will run the AC in an RSX or Civic SI. If it works then the problem is with your vehicle/wiring.
blownintegra1

Post by blownintegra1 »

Okay, if there's a DFW area person that is Ii can test kpro.

Let Me know.

So spunkster have you heard anything
about in compatibility with a crv manual ECu using the Hondata set up ECU in 2002 civic?

The pin outs look like the same but the only thing is off is multiplex unit.
Are there culprits they don't behave in well Together.yentoa

Interested in opinions -- potential fixes foredl the Cold weather starting isues.its like below 30f, the car double fires as the poston rises in the cylinder and will go catch.
blownintegra1

Post by blownintegra1 »

Well, I figured I would update Hondata.

I had stated in my previous text that I knew that I my car's wiring would be to blame for the fact that the car was not running correctly, for no particular reason.

There was absolutely NO problem with any WIRIING OF THE CAR or MULTIPLEX unit. I ran continuity checks, tested relays, etc, etc, etc.

I tried about 2 weeks where I would upload a different tune and/or turn on/off the multiplex unit on the base tune. NOPE, NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE UNTIL I TURNED THE MULTIPLEX OFF.

The car would stumble, miss, etc with any tune and the fans would stay on and the the AC would cycle incessantly with the multiplex on. New multiplex, old multiplex, several junkyard multiplex units, absolutely no difference.

LO AND BEHOLD, put everything back to STOCK, all OLD PARTS, and ran one more thing before I set the car on fire.

I unplugged the battery for 1 day and did a CLUSTER TEST/RESET, where you hold the trip odometer reset for 10 seconds and the turn the car to RUN.

I expected that the FANS would be running ans upon starting the car, it running like $hit, and THE AC cycling incessantly.

But VIOLA!!!!!

CAR WAS RUNNING JUST BEAUTIFULLY. AC CYCLED LIKE NORMAL, COMPRESSOR TURNED OFF AND ON WITH THE AC BUTTON!!! JUST LIKE IT SHOULD!!!!! Everything was back to working.

No loose wires, as I stated in the original email, EVERYTHING WAS STOCK EXCEPT FOR THE PRB and wiring changes AND/OR PRA CALIBRATION USING THE CORRECT WIDEBAND WIRING. Not to confuse the issue.

There was NO wiring issue or confusion with what wires needed to go where during which calibration or tune.

FYI - let me repeat, NO WIRING ISSUES WITH THE CAR. Ever....The car is bone stock. BONE STOCK, except for the cam gear and Hondata.

As I had stated, the car ran perfectly stock, would start up in any weather, stock, never had "wiring issues" stock.

Let me repeat for clarification. The car will run perfectly with PRA OR PRB CALIBRATION with multiplex unit ON after the cluster test.

I already shared the calibration, and I'll share it again and a DATALOG to prove my point.

I've had this car since new with over 221k miles on it before rebuilding the engine. This ain't some 15 year old kid hacking up car stereo wiring.

NOW - CAN HONDATA PLEASE ADDRESS WHY THE CAR WOULD NOT TURNOVER/START PROPERLY WHEN COLDER THAN 32 DEGREES, UNTIL I WARMED UP AN EXTRA ECT SENSOR IN MY HAND, THEN IT WOULD START TWO MINUTES LATER??

I know this platform doesn't get much love any longer, but these issues have been asked in the past, especially after searching other Honda and Acura boards/posts going back a long way.

I really do like Hondata products and have had nothing but success with them. It just seems like this is an orphan and is left as such.

Thanks in advance for everyone on the forum.
blownintegra1

Post by blownintegra1 »

Well, back to square one....

Car ran perfectly for 2 days. Idled great, ran great, AC functioned like it was supposed to, drove it 100 miles no problem. Turned AC off/on about 15 times during that stretch.

Started it up this morning, and boom fans on, AC running with the switch off. Tried the "dash reset" and that didn't work. Started idling high, like it lost the tune.

Gauges still sweep like normal.

As soon as the mulitplex in the tune is shut off, car idles and runs like normal, but all other functions go away.

Does anyone know if there there is a "clear memory function" for the multiplex? Or the signal line? It seems like something is getting corrupted between the ECU, the multiplex and the signal line, as it starts to act like the tune is corrupted.

What is the connection between the multiplex and the tune?

Thanks-
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I'm not aware of anyone else having this issue ever. Since it is working sometimes, it sounds like it could be a wiring fault somewhere as that is the most common cause of intermittent problems.