Car won't go over a certain speed

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
jr_deleon

Car won't go over a certain speed

Post by jr_deleon »

Hello. I know KPro has no speed limiter (sure acts like it), but I wanted to see if anyone has experienced this issue.

So the car won't go over a certain speed 138 (I am aware of the speed limit laws and I only went that high on the highway in the dead of night with no other cars). Almost as if it has a fuel cutoff/speed limiter. It's always been this way since I've swapped the setup in, as in its never been retuned since 01/04/18 other than changing fan temp settings.

1993 Del Sol
2006 K24a2
KPro V4 (I updated it last week, and I'm not at the car for
37820-PRB-A05 (not at the car right now for the serial number)
KManager 4.4.1
06 Type S transmission FD (4.7) (Speed correction at 27%...it's that far off according to the GPS)
16" wheels with 205/45/16 tires
It does have a KTuned box for the cluster but Wireworx sent me the wire to work with their harness for an S2K cluster, so that has been bypassed.

I don't have a datalog of the issue at the moment, given the speed I'd have to travel to achieve it. I had it on a Windows-based laptop but now I have a Mac running Parallels and I didn't load it on a USB before the other computer crashed.
Attachments
Revision 3.kal
(127.62 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Car won't go over a certain speed

Post by Hondata »

Do you have a datalog?
Hondata
jr_deleon

Post by jr_deleon »

I did but on my old computer, and it crashed. I’ll see if there are any saved on the ecu itself tomorrow.

I’ll take it for a run on Saturday, record a datalog and post it up.

Thank you for the response.
jr_deleon

Post by jr_deleon »

Not sure if it’s formatted correctly, but I found it in an email I sent to the tuner a few months back. Didn’t get a response to it.
Attachments
Datalog-181103-000.kdl
Speed limit datalog
(869.93 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
superstyro

Post by superstyro »

Here is what I have come up with going over your datalog and kcal.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor starts showing 0mph then ~155mph rapidly during the top of 5th and in 6th gear.
The fact that the sensor rapidly starts swapping vehicle speed with 0mph might be causing the Kpro to activate Launch Control.
VSS.png
VSS.png (313.21 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
Couple of things to inspect:
  • Inspect the VSS sensor and make sure it is installed properly.
  • Check connector fully seated in to VSS.
  • Finally check VSS wiring for any damage.
A way to check if the vehicle speed input is the main malfunction, try disabling the Launch control, datalog another run and see if the problem is present.
jr_deleon

Post by jr_deleon »

Thank you very much for your fast response and overview of my datalog to locate the problem.

I’ll check the wiring, and I have a spare TSX harness that I can use for a connector, if it’s the same (I used the 02-04 Type S connector and it’s not a tight fit btw).

I’ll also disable launch control. Oddly enough when I tried using launch control in the past the car “bucks” like a bronco, doing the same thing it does when it reaches the top of 5th but while launching. I never bothered to use it since then
jr_deleon

Post by jr_deleon »

Well I do have some news

I took it for a spin after disabling launch control. I wasn’t datalogging at the time, but it wasn’t breaking up like before at that speed.

I still need to check the wiring and sensor itself, but so far it’s on the right track. I’ll do all of that stuff early tomorrow and see if I can get a datalog up whenever I get a run in.

In the meantime, thank you, superstyro, for putting me on the right track
superstyro

Post by superstyro »

Glad I could help!