Car Cutting Out at WOT

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
lev16gt

Car Cutting Out at WOT

Post by lev16gt »

- what vehicle you have: 2000 Integra w/jdm k20a
- serial number of your K-Pro: 44995 is the number written on the cardboard box it came in.
- version of software being used (from Help, About): 4.3.5.0
- ECU part number (starts with 37820) and serial number (the number under the part number): 37820-PRC-013, 2070-200934
- KManager version (not 'the latest'): 4.3.5
- the calibration (as an attachment): attached
- a datalog of a problem (as an attachment): attached
- anything about the car which has been modified from stock which may affect the ECU: see below
- when and where you got the K-Pro: February 2017 from Colletti Motorsports in Dayton, Ohio.

- car details: track-only race car, stock internals, stock injectors, stock jdm engine harness, stock battery in stock Integra location, thermal throttle body and intake manifold gaskets, short ram air intake, 2.5" open side exit exhaust (per series rules), Aquity hall effect TPS, Rywire standalone race chassis adapter (no stock fuse boxes, whatsoever), Rywire switch panel, Longacre 2-post kill switch (wired as so: stock alternator cable to battery, 2 awg cable from battery to kill switch, 2 awg cable from kill switch to a power distribution block, stock starter cable to distribution block), replacement Denso alternator tested and working fine, fuel cell with Walbro 255 in-tank pump, -6 AN fuel feed line from cell to a 10 micron inline filter on firewall, -4 AN fuel return line........I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of.

I'm having intermittent issues with the car shutting down at WOT and then coming back to life a split second later. When it happens, it's like it completely dies/shuts off and then comes back and runs fine. It does this intermittently without warning. I primarily race on asphalt oval tracks of various sizes. On Friday, I was at a track getting some practice sessions in and the car was fine the first three runs (10+ laps each run), then on the fourth it started doing this...not every lap, but it seemed to get worse, then did so during the fifth and sixth runs also. The attached datalog is from the sixth time out. I need help from someone who knows what they are looking at in the datalogs to see if there is anything obvious that is not correct (fuel, ignition, tps, voltage, etc.)

The car started doing this last year towards the end of the season. I thought some faulty wiring might be the cause, so i replaced all the cabin wiring, Hybrid Racing conversion harness, and stock fuse boxes with the Rywire setup mentioned above. That did not change anything in relation to this problem. There have been no error codes throughout this issue happening.... however, as of Friday, I'm now getting DTC P0325 Knock Sensor Circuit Malfunction, so I'm not sure what that's all about... there are no knocks being detected, as far as I know... bad knock sensor?

Please let me know if there is any additional information that would be helpful. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attachments
04.13.18 Shadybowl.kdl
Datalog
(2.76 MiB) Downloaded 125 times
Colletti Tune 05.12.2017.kal
Calibration
(163.1 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Car Cutting Out at WOT

Post by Spunkster »

At what point in the datalog is this happening?
lev16gt

Post by lev16gt »

There are two instances between 2:08 - 2:25.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The only thing I can really see is that the TPS appears to cut out at 2:24
lev16gt

Post by lev16gt »

Is there anything different at 2:24 that you see compared to other times when TPS falls to zero? Is there something at 2:24 that makes you think the TPS cuts out vs me letting off the throttle completely? Thanks!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Are you running a turbo or supercharger? I am also seeing boost conditions in the datalog.
lev16gt

Post by lev16gt »

No turbo, supercharger, NOS, etc.
lev16gt

Post by lev16gt »

One other detail I missed in my original post is that this happens at the end of the straights at WOT, before I start braking and feathering the throttle through the turn. This makes the logs difficult to read (for me at least), since it happens a split second before I brake and go in and out of the throttle for the turns. Ideally, I wouldn't purposely be completely off the throttle at all, but when the car cuts out I tend to instinctly let off. Thanks for looking at this!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Your datalogs show boost conditions so I would recommend looking at your MAP sensor and wiring as you should not be seeing above atmospheric readings on the MAP sensor.
lev16gt

Post by lev16gt »

Where do you see the MAP sensor reading positive pressure? I guess I don't see it. In a naturally aspirated motor, the pressure should go towards zero as you are in WOT and sucking in more air, but never show positive pressure, right? The MAP sensor is stock with the stock engine harness plugged into it, so what should I be looking at regarding the sensor and wiring?...I suppose I can go through the MAP sensor testing steps from the factory service manual.

Thanks!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

look at 2:09:220
lev16gt

Post by lev16gt »

Okay, thanks. I see it now at 2:09... and again at 2:17. So I guess I'll be checking the map sensor itself, wiring to the sensor, vacuum leaks, Kpro readings... anything else specific to check? What values should I be expecting Kpro to show in various scenarios (car off, idle, WOT, etc)?

Thank you!
Dman12ny

Post by Dman12ny »

Hey I have a very similar issue on a similar setup also racing asphalt circle track. Was wondering if you ever figured this issue out?
lev16gt

Post by lev16gt »

My issue ended up being the map sensor… I replaced it with a new sensor and never had the issue again. I hope your issue ends up being this simple… and hopefully you haven’t wasted as much time, money and effort chasing it down as I did!