K100 to K-Pro upgrade problems.

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
mikehhhhhhh

K100 to K-Pro upgrade problems.

Post by mikehhhhhhh »

I run a JRSC supercharged K20 Elise which I bought done and it came with a PRA Ecu with K100 - probably last tuned in around 2011.

I wanted CAN output and some datalogging features so decided to upgrade to K-Pro v4. I purchased a K-Pro v4 in a used PRA ECU from my local dealer.

I took it to my local tuner who swapped the boards over on the premise that the map is stored on the ECU, not the K-Pro but the car would not rev past around 3.5-4k. His own K-Pro board seemed to work ok, as did the original K100. The diagnosis was that the K-Pro board I purchased must be faulty.

This led to me taking it back to the Hondata dealer who plugged the K-Pro v4 into my ECU and downloaded the map which turned out to not be my map at all, but a generic EP3 tune.

Upon plugging the K-Pro into the new ECU and downloading the map, the tune was identical. He put a base map with the right injector size on my new ECU, locked it and sent me on my way.

Now the Hondata dealer is telling me that my map has been wiped completely, but it seems a little curious that the same map is being read on both ECUs.What's even more curious is that when I tried putting the K-Pro in my old ECU myself to download the map, the lock he'd applied was still active on that.

So my question is, does the Kpro-v4 read the map from the ECU at all, or is it just reading it back from it's own storage?

If the latter, has my map really been lost, is there any way to actually read it from the ECU?
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: K100 to K-Pro upgrade problems.

Post by Hondata »

The original problem is that the calibration may need to be re-uploaded to the ECU after upgrading to the KPro from a K100, depending on the exact software and firmware versions when the original upload was made.

If the ECU had security set then the calibration would not be able to be downloaded from the ECU, plus you would need to use a KPro1 or KPro2 to read the file out. Most tuners in the UK seem to set security.

As far as the rev limit goes there will be an error code. It could be something simple like not disabling a sensor not present.
Hondata
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

A version 4 K-Pro cannot read form the ECU. IT only downloaded the stored calibration that was on that K-Pro. IF you have overwritten what was on your original ECU then you will need to retune the vehicle using the new K-Pro.
mikehhhhhhh

Post by mikehhhhhhh »

Thank you for your help, that helps explain a lot!
mikehhhhhhh

Post by mikehhhhhhh »

I am posting here again because the Hondata dealer that told me the ECU has been erased have not responded to my email with the information provided here and the simple request of refunding the money they charged me to incorrectly inform me that my ECU had been wiped.

Is this something Hondata can/will/is interested in intervening in? Surely Hondata dealers listed on their website should be competent enough to understand how the product works - assuming they weren't just trying to sell me a tune! :(
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Who is the dealer and what is the serial number on the K-Pro board inside the ECU?
mikehhhhhhh

Post by mikehhhhhhh »

Dealer is CPL Racing.

I have 46917 written on the box, is that it?

Bad advice is one thing, but as a result of it I ended up going and spending hundreds to get a tune customised - with a fairly custom JRSC setup in an Elise, I didn't have much choice if I thought my map had been erased :(
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Have they offered to assist you with getting it returned on the dyno?
mikehhhhhhh

Post by mikehhhhhhh »

At the time, they offered to tune it for £400 but as I know my car had a lot of time spent on the original map, I decided to go back to the original tuner to see if they had the original.