AngryScottish

Fuel Pump not priming

Post by AngryScottish »

- Vehicle: Noble M400
- Serial #: xxxxx
- KPro Version: V4.x
- ECU: PRB
- KManager version: V4.x
- Calibration: on a different PC, but it's the 1st selection from the list when you create a new calibration
- Datalog: NA; I am getting error codes for IAT (sensor not hooked up) and ECT (sensor not hooked up).
- Modified From Stock: Yeah, the entire wiring. Engine harness is from a 04 RSX-S, I used a EP3 harness for the OBD2 plug, C101, and E plug. Wired that up to the ECU and chassis harness.
- When / Where KPRO Acquired: 9/28; HA Motorsports
- Problem:

Short version:
I can't get the fuel pump to prime.

Long version:
I am using an EP3 main relay and fuel pump relay. All connections made based on the wiring printout on this site. Tested the wiring on the relays, all checked out. I can jump the Fuel Pump relay from the 30 pin to the 87 pin and the pump will run. But, I'm not getting any voltage from the ECU pin E1 to engage the pump. I've updated the calibration to run the fuel pump constantly, nothing...still no fuel pump signal.

The engine is NOT in the car, the wiring ground near the fuel injectors IS grounded, the OBD2 plug is grounded, and the base of the ECU is grounded.
I'm trying to test all of my wiring before I heat shrink everything and tuck it away.

So, what is required for the fuel pump to run?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Fuel Pump not priming

Post by Spunkster »

You need to try the ECU in a known working car first. If it has been miss-wired it could have damaged the ECU. Testing the ECU in a working vehicle will tell you if the ECU is damaged or not.
AngryScottish

Post by AngryScottish »

Spunkster wrote:You need to try the ECU in a known working car first. If it has been miss-wired it could have damaged the ECU. Testing the ECU in a working vehicle will tell you if the ECU is damaged or not.
The wiring was all tested and pinned correctly, per the wiring diagram. This was tested several times before the ecu was even plugged in.

KManager doesn't show any abnormal errors, and appears to be able to recognize everything.

Is there any other grounds (besides the ground near the fuel rail or sensors that must be plugged in, for the ecu to prime the pump) or specific processes (ie. like how VTEC is engaged) that must happen in order for the ECU to prime the fuel pump?

Also, attached my calibration and datalog.
NobleM400_v1.0.kal
(199.36 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
-151207-000.kdl
(27.51 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The ECU does not supply voltage on pin E1 to switch on the fuel pump relay. Rather the ECU grounds pin E1. If battery voltage is present on pin E1 then it will burn out the ECU fuel pump output instantly.

In most cases the ECU fuel pump output is damaged, which is why it is usually easiest to test this and eliminate the ECU as the source of the problem. This could have occurred before you got the ECU.

Also do not ground the ECU case. The only grounds you need are as per the factory configuration (intake manifold / timing cover, transmission strap, engine mount strap).
Hondata
AngryScottish

Post by AngryScottish »

Hondata wrote:The ECU does not supply voltage on pin E1 to switch on the fuel pump relay. Rather the ECU grounds pin E1. If battery voltage is present on pin E1 then it will burn out the ECU fuel pump output instantly.

In most cases the ECU fuel pump output is damaged, which is why it is usually easiest to test this and eliminate the ECU as the source of the problem. This could have occurred before you got the ECU.

Also do not ground the ECU case. The only grounds you need are as per the factory configuration (intake manifold / timing cover, transmission strap, engine mount strap).
That's helpful, thank you. I had the 12v to the pump wired to E1, hoping to power the pump via e1.
Never had any voltage going to e1, was just hoping to see some come from it. Never checked to see if it grounded it.
dantok

Post by dantok »

Also, depending on the ECU you use. JDM ECU's including some PRB uses the E10 wire instead of E1 ;)
rallyrcr

Post by rallyrcr »

Angry Scottish,

I'm having the same issue with my engine and pump not priming. What did you find was the cause of your issue?

_Mark