K-Manager and VSS

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
sprinto7

K-Manager and VSS

Post by sprinto7 »

I'm having trouble with my VSS signal (Long story) and need to know the folowing. If I set the Launch RPM to zero, will the lack of VSS signal have ANY affect on the K-Pro ecu. Does the lack VSS signal cause the ecu to go into limp home mode or any thing like that.
I will be doing some testing later on in the week.
Thanks.
Del Long
GTI

Post by GTI »

As far as I know, you will have no VTEC if there is no signal from VSS.
sprinto7

Post by sprinto7 »

GTI wrote:As far as I know, you will have no VTEC if there is no signal from VSS.
I used to think so too when I was using the reflash code, but now that I have the K Pro and can set the launch RPM to zero, I'm not so sure.
I've gone through the Honda service manual and can find no vtec failure code that has you check to see if there is a VSS signal. I'll do some more testing this afteroon if it doesn't rain. My driveway is too short for full power starts, well more like full power stops, in the wet.
The K Pro has a speed range setting in the Nitrous window too.
Del Long
sprinto7

Post by sprinto7 »

sprinto7 wrote:
GTI wrote:As far as I know, you will have no VTEC if there is no signal from VSS.
I'll do some more testing this afteroon if it doesn't rain.

Del Long
One very short test with no VSS signal and the ecu did not turn on the VTP ot VTS. Engine was not up to full temp (168). Will test more after I repair cracked bell housing.
Del Long
GTI

Post by GTI »

We unfortunately had the experience during racing.
The VTEC on our DC5 worked normally when we had the standard gearbox. After we changed it to a racing box with no speedo drive, the VTEC stopped working. We put the speedo drive back on and it worked.
sprinto7

Re: K-Manager and VSS

Post by sprinto7 »

sprinto7 wrote:I'm having trouble with my VSS signal (Long story) and need to know the folowing. If I set the Launch RPM to zero, will the lack of VSS signal have ANY affect on the K-Pro ecu. Does the lack VSS signal cause the ecu to go into limp home mode or any thing like that.
I will be doing some testing later on in the week.
Thanks.
Del Long
I have since fixed my VSS problem. I purchased an AutoMeter electric speedometer VSS deice that screws right on my Toyota transmission.
The only problem (so far) is the AutoMeter VSS puts out more pulses per revoltion than the RSX one did and I hit an indicated 158 MPH at about 4000 RPM.
Other than that the Launch RPM settings work, the VTEC engages, so I'm fat dumb and happy. Well, at least 2 out of 3.
Del Long