Now car (S2000) won't start with KPro II, code P0335

Post by Forcedbird »

Hi,

Vehicle Year: 2005
KPro version II
PTuning turbo kit
Stock plugs (for now)
Stock injectors (for now)

I finished my PTuning turbo kit install and went to start it up for the first time to check fluids and bleed the coolant.

Started up fine, and we had it idling for about 15 mins or so. Radiator fan kicked on twice.

Shut it down for about 5 mins and went back to try to start it up. It didn't start and was smelling rich. pulled the codes and got:

P0336 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Range/Performance

P1361 TDC Sensor Intermittent Interruption

P0219 Engine Overspeed Condition

Left it like that and went to sleep.

This morning I cleared the codes and tried to start her up, but she would't turn over. Pulled the codes and only got one this time:

P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction

So far I took out the Crankshaft Position Sensor and reseated it cleared the codes and tried to start it. Didn't turn over and got the same code: P0335

Disconnected the D connector at the KPro to see if any Pins were bent at the connector and on the ECU, all looked normal.

Cleared the codes and tried to start. No dice and same code: P0335

Does any on have any insight to my issue?

My next step is to take out the Crankshaft Position Sensor and check the resistance and continuity there, but I am not sure if it's the same because I am going off of the S2000 Helm manual and this sensor is from an Acura RSX. Is doing the diagnostics on the the Crankshaft Position Sensor the same for both vehicles?

Not sure where to go with this. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Now car (S2000) won't start with KPro II, code P0335

Post by Spunkster »

What is the K-Pro serial number from inside the ECU? What is the serial number on the ECU case?
Forcedbird

Post by Forcedbird »

Spunkster wrote:What is the K-Pro serial number from inside the ECU? What is the serial number on the ECU case?
K-Pro serial number from inside the ECU: 05009653

Serial number on the ECU case:
37820-PRB-305
2054-101134

If you need any more info please let me know.

Thank you
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You cannot use an RSX sensor. You must use the part number listed on our website.

http://www.hondata.com/s2000kpro.html
Forcedbird

Post by Forcedbird »

Spunkster wrote:You cannot use an RSX sensor. You must use the part number listed on our website.

http://www.hondata.com/s2000kpro.html
I am sorry for the confusion but I thought that the sensor that you listed on your site is from an RSX I now know that it is from an 06 and up S2000.

When I purchased all of the parts from Majestic Honda, I used your site as a reference for the parts that I needed to get.

I just now double checked my receipt (just to be sure) from Majestic Honda and I did purchase an installed the correct crank sensor.

So to simplify and clear things up the crank sensor that I have bought an installed is Part # 37500-PZX-003 (from 06 and up S2000)

Please continue to advise.

Thank you
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

pass something metalic in front of the sensor as it if were the trigger wheel and see if you get a pulse using a osciliscope or possibly a multi meter
Forcedbird

Post by Forcedbird »

Spunkster wrote:pass something metalic in front of the sensor as it if were the trigger wheel and see if you get a pulse using a oscilloscope or possibly a multi meter
I never done this before. I don't have a oscilloscope but I do have a multi meter.

Do I need tho have the sensor hooked up to the wire harness with the ignition on?

Do I need to back probe the pigtail while doing this?

Where do I place the probes form multi meter on the sensor?

How do you do this?

Oh and FYI while cranking my data log shows 0 RPM's

Thanks
Forcedbird

Post by Forcedbird »

I had a friend (He has a 2004 S2000 w/Kpro III up and running) come over during this past weekend to help me sovle this issue. He brought down his Kpro and his crank sensor which he removed from his working car.

1st: We swaped the crank sensor. Car wouldn't start, spit out code P0335.

2nd: We tried unplugging the crank sensor, Car wouldn't start.

3rd: We checked the continunity of each wire (3 wires from the crank sensor to the ECU, and 3 wires from the cam sensor to the ECU) on the wiring harness. All had continunity

4th: We installed his Kpro III and still didn't start, also spit out code P0335

Random but we noticed that the alternator pulley was magnetic after the ignition was off with the key out. Not sure if that is normal.

Installed my Kpro back in the car. We now ruled out the Kpro or the crank sensor as being the problem.

Finally (because of the magnetic alternator pulley) we tried to start the car with the drive belt off and it started!

Shut the car off, put the belt back on and it started again.

Ok, maybe just a random misconnection somewhere? My friend left.

I went to start it again, had a hard time starting, but it started. then died, no code. hhhmmmm.

Tried to start it again, didn't start and spit out code P0219 (engine overspeed condition). Erased code.

Tried to start, didn't start, code P0336 and P0219.

This morning erased code and went to start it. It started up without a problem then it died (within 5 mins) without a code.

Started it up again (ran for about 3 mins) and died with code P0336.

This afternoon I datalogged with the start. Started and ran for about 4 mins then died. showed code P0336.

Erased code. Tried to start again with datalogging. Ran for about 3 mins then died with code P0219.

So to concluded this is what I think. I Depinned the "D" connector on the Hondata wiring harness so that I can run the wires through the firewall (did this on initial installation). This was difficult to do and maybe I messed up the pins on the "D" connector and now the connection between the pins on the wiring harness and the Kpro isn't a good connection. Is this possible?

I tried calling a few local Hondata vendors about purchasing a new wiring harness but they told me that I needed to contact you guys directly for that as they don't list the harness for sale individually.

I also want to say thank you to Tim from S2Ki for bringing his Kpro, sensor, driving an hour and helping me troubleshoot this issue for 4 hours yesterday.

Please let me know what you guys think about my issue,

I can post the datalog if you need.

Thanks
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Check continuity with the harness plugged in on the inside of the ECU on the pins themselves.
Forcedbird

Post by Forcedbird »

Spunkster wrote:Check continuity with the harness plugged in on the inside of the ECU on the pins themselves.
Just did exactly what you said. There is continuity from the cam and crank plugs all the way to inside the ECU pins. I guess now we know that the harness is not the problem.

Any other ideas?

FYI: this is how I have it wired after I de-pinned and then re-pinned the "D" connector it during the initial install:

Thanks
Attachments
Kpro Wiring Diagram.JPG
Kpro Wiring Diagram.JPG (681.82 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Forcedbird

Post by Forcedbird »

Does the keystock need to be flush with the female receiving portion to the crank pulley bolt? Please see pic below:
Attachments
srank sensor key.JPG
srank sensor key.JPG (479.07 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Please email support <at> hondata.com and we will tell you the correct pinout.
Forcedbird

Re: Now car (S2000) won't start with KPro II, code P0335 (FI

Post by Forcedbird »

Ok, I found and fixed the issue. LOL. I was my fault. Back in April when I did the KPro install, I wanted to de-pin the KPro wiring harness so that I'll have an easier time with getting the wires through the firewall. Well, I tried to de-pin it from the crank sensor plug (I still remember thinking while I was doing this that I may mess up the connector, but oh well there's only one way to find out) with no success. I then posted on here asking how to de-pin the plug:

http://www.s2ki.com/...1#entry21631439

ronac in the thread above said "I'm not too sure, but I depinned from the end that connects to the ECU. You pry up the white lock and stick in a pin to release each terminal individually."

I then de-pin the D connector instead and ran the wires through the firewall and forgot about it. Fast forward to now. The other day was just starring at my engine bay feeling frustrated about the whole situation and trying to think what could be the problem in relation to the codes that KPro kept spitting out. I then remembered that I tried to de-pin that connector and in the process I might have messed it up. I pulled the plug and took a close look at the female pins inside of it. I noticed that one of the pins (the one I messed with back in April) was not in alignment with the other pins. I took a pick and pushed that pin back into alignment, plugged it back in and fired it up. It started with no hiccups ran it for about 5 mins, no stalling, no codes. Tried that another 3 times with no issues. I wanted to wait a couple of days to make sure that the problem was fixed before I posted on here.

Thank you spunkster and timg from s2ki.com.