Target Lambda Tables

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
NateCross

Target Lambda Tables

Post by NateCross »

Hello, I have searched this forum and the web for an answer and so far have not found a solution. Not sure if I am looking in the wrong place or just missing it, but hopefully you all can help me out.

I have a new purchased KPro4 PNF ecu installed in a 2003 Civic Si. Latest software (not beta), Windows 10 OS. I found a suitable base map for my mods, and after some minor adjustments the car is up and running well. I have I/H/E and thermal gaskets, so nothing crazy for mods. I do have access to a dyno for fine tuning, but was beginning to get my AFR's dialed in on the street before loading it up on the dyno.

My question is this: how do I set a target AFR? I will do the dyno tuning in open loop, but on the street and when I am just daily driving I would like to have the ability to set a specific AFR to target, plus this would be a benefit when tuning so that I can use the fuel adjustment values based off the AFR I select not what is currently in the map. The problem is that I only have access to the WOT compensation tables, and no actual AFR target tables. I have tried everything short of uninstalling the software and wiping the tune, but cannot get the AFR target tables to be available. As you can see from the screen grab the option is grayed out.

Any help would be appreciated!
Attachments
TARGET LAMBDA.JPG
TARGET LAMBDA.JPG (67.19 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Target Lambda Tables

Post by Hondata »

What ECU are you using? The target lambda is not available for the PNF, which I suspect is the ECU you are using.
Hondata
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You will have to use a PRB based calibration if you want all the options.
NateCross

Post by NateCross »

Spunkster wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:06 am You will have to use a PRB based calibration if you want all the options.
Hondata wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:45 am What ECU are you using? The target lambda is not available for the PNF, which I suspect is the ECU you are using.
Thanks for the help! It is indeed a PNF. Can I use a PRB map with the PNF ecu safely?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It will have to be properly tuned with the PRB based calibration.
NateCross

Post by NateCross »

Spunkster wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:32 pm It will have to be properly tuned with the PRB based calibration.
Not a problem, as long as I can effectively use a PRB based calibration without issues.

While I work at building a base map for my setup based on the PRB, is there any way to adjust the target AFR with the PNF calibration? It's targeting .85 at wot, I would like to be about .9 but don't want to run in open loop all the time.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You have full control over the fuel tables and can make any adjustments needed.
NateCross

Post by NateCross »

Spunkster wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:41 pm You have full control over the fuel tables and can make any adjustments needed.
Right, understand the fuel adjustment aspect of KPro tuning. I'm just hung up on target lambda values. I know I could run in open loop all the time and just adjust the fueling to match what I want, but that would require much more work and would not be adjustable for variables I cannot control on my dyno. That is why I would like to use closed loop, but I don't see any way to target AFR values I want with the PNF calibration. Maybe I should just build 2 calibrations, one open loop and one closed loop. When I want more fine tuned fuel control I can run the open loop map, and when I want to let the computer do the work I can run closed loop.

Of course all of this will be moot if/when I get a PRB based calibration set up. As long as it works.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You should get it tuned as close as possible to where you want it in open loop, and then you can enable closed loop when done. You should not rely on closed loop to essentially tune the vehicle for places it runs to rich or too lean.
NateCross

Post by NateCross »

Spunkster wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:33 am You should get it tuned as close as possible to where you want it in open loop, and then you can enable closed loop when done. You should not rely on closed loop to essentially tune the vehicle for places it runs to rich or too lean.
Thanks for working on this with me. I feel like I have done a poor job explaining my thinking. I do know to tune in open loop, tuning each cam map separately. If I do that, and get the car to track 0.9 in WOT, will the fact that it targets 0.85 in WOT while closed loop is active mess up my tune? I don't see any way of getting this target to change, maybe I'm just missing it.

What I meant by letting the computer do the work is just the closed loop cruising sections of the map, not needing to set the target lambda for those or make adjustments. It's already tracking perfectly in those areas.

I also don't understand how to use the target adjustment values on the fuel maps if my target is 5% off of what I actually want. If I could change what target I want then that feature should work properly.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You can enable target lambda tables for the low and high cam in the closed loop advanced tab.
NateCross

Post by NateCross »

Spunkster wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:51 am You can enable target lambda tables for the low and high cam in the closed loop advanced tab.
That option is not selectable for me. I think that's because I am using a PNF calibration. But I could be wrong and there is something else that needs to be turned on to access those tables. See the picture on the OP.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

We have been over this. You must use a PRB based calibration to use these tables.
NateCross

Post by NateCross »

Spunkster wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:25 am We have been over this. You must use a PRB based calibration to use these tables.
Right, I am working on setting up a PRB based calibration to use. I am new to this and did not know if a PRB calibration could be used on a PNF ecu.
futureal33

Post by futureal33 »

Spunkster wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:33 am You should get it tuned as close as possible to where you want it in open loop, and then you can enable closed loop when done. You should not rely on closed loop to essentially tune the vehicle for places it runs to rich or too lean.
When you say "enable closed loop when done" - can you literally tell me how to do this, ie - what do I click or enable to turn closed loop on, I cannot see it?