06 si reflash cam angles

Questions / support for the K-Series ECU re-flash
hawjdude

06 si reflash cam angles

Post by hawjdude »

i was thinking, the reflash for the 06 si kicks vtec sooner than stock and also raises the rev limit. due to the advanced cam angles at 4500, vtec is established around 4500 rpm and continued to 5800, thereafter, the car functions like stock(in exception to the redline). now, my question is why not advance the cam angles even more at 5800 to redline. this would thus increse the overall peak hp and retain the good midrange, is this something possible? or are the cam angles advanced maxed out after 5800 rpm?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Don't think that 'more is better'. We dyno tune the cam angles for maximum power. With the K engine, this usually means that you have maximum cam advance around peak torque, retarding to around 25-27 degrees at peak power.
Hondata
hawjdude

Post by hawjdude »

not trying to be a pest but why is more not better? why is the cam angle retarded at peak power, if it was advanced there, wouldn't there be more peak power to make. This is sort of the idea w/ all the kpro folks out there correct? make as much power as u can safely which means advance the cam angles as much as the engine is willing. is there something else that is preventing the reflash from achieving more peak power? i understand the idea of max. cam advance around peak torque but couldn't max. advance be done so also for peak hp? thanks.
Hondata wrote:Don't think that 'more is better'. We dyno tune the cam angles for maximum power. With the K engine, this usually means that you have maximum cam advance around peak torque, retarding to around 25-27 degrees at peak power.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

For some reason people think that the more of anything (ignition, fuel, cam angle) they add, the more power they will make.

It's simple. There is the correct amount of cam advance to make maximum power. If you advance the cam any further, you lose power. If you retard the cam, you lose power.
Hondata
hawjdude

Post by hawjdude »

oh, ok, alright, so its the stock cams that are holding back the peak power from being any higher. therefore, so, is it safe to say that the si cam had quite a bit left to gain in the midrange and none left to gain up top since the reflash gives a ton of power in the midrange but only a little up top? i guess i missunderstood the science of it, i was thinking since it was possible to gain like 30whp in the midrang, this would be somehow achievable up top towards redline with the peak power as well. thanks.
Hondata wrote:For some reason people think that the more of anything (ignition, fuel, cam angle) they add, the more power they will make.

It's simple. There is the correct amount of cam advance to make maximum power. If you advance the cam any further, you lose power. If you retard the cam, you lose power.