Is dyno needed for ecu tuning (k-100)?

Questions / support for the K-Series ECU re-flash
neal

Is dyno needed for ecu tuning (k-100)?

Post by neal »

Hi, thanks in advance for answering my questions regarding k-100 tuning.

A brief back ground, Im driving a honda dc5 type r, with the following mods: gruppe m intake, toda exhuast manifold, fujitsubo rm01a cat back exhaust

3-4 months ago, i purchased the k-100 from the hong kong dealer (i chose k-100 because 1) i dont have a laptop 2) i would not know how to play with the program (and i dont plan on making anymore modifications)). My question, doesnt the dealer need to tune my car by using a dyno machine? Because, as far as i know, they didnt have one in their shop. And my thought is that every car is different, hence they cant just put me on a map that they already have...

I am having this concern as ever since I got k-100-ed. I had problems with idling, and other things. The car may be having vtec earlier (at 4800rpm), but it doesnt feel as as powerful as some other dc5 with stock ecus... That is why Im concerned. I've done a lot of research before choosing hondata (i chose it over mugen), because I heard great stuff about it mainly on www.itr-dc5.co.uk

Let me know, thanks.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Who installed the k100?
neal

Post by neal »

a hondata dealer, namely gti engineering
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It should have been tuned on the dyno. I would suggest contacting your dealer for assistance.
neal

Post by neal »

thanks for your reply spunkster

the dealer specifically told me before that running it on dyno when tuning isnt needed. i believe what you say (i.e. should be done on a dyno) because that is what I believe should be the way... what should i do if the dealer still insist the tuning will not be done on dyno??

from what i remember, i spent around USD500-550 on the K100, and USD300-400 on tuning... total around USD 1000. I would be really disappointed if the right job should be done on a dyno and it did not, while im paying the normal fee, i just want the right thing for the car.

Thanks for your help spunkster
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If you paid for tuning and the car was not dyno tuned, I would suggest asking for a refund or having them dyno tune your car.
neal

Post by neal »

thanks spunkster, i will talk to the dealer... if they are unwilling to do this, can i report such case to hondata?
GTI

Post by GTI »

Dear Neal,

I explained it well to you before we started tuning on your car that it would be tuned on the road using a base map we developed on the dyno on another car with similar modifications. We in no way misled you into thinking that the car would be tuned on a dyno.

Spunkster
Are you representing Hondata?
If every car needs to be dyno-tuned, you should stop selling reflashes.
I believe that dyno tuning is important in setting up cam advance and base ignition timing. In Neal's case, we did a similar car on the dyno and used its file for Neal's car as a base. We then checked and adjusted fuel and ignition using datalogs on the road. I believe that dyno tune is not everything and should be supplemented by road tuning. It is because the dyno cell cannot simulate real road conditions in terms of under bonnet airflow and very few dyno cells outside car manufactureres are adequately environmentally controlled (air temperature, humidity...etc).

Neal, if you feel in any deceived, please call me, and I will arrange a refund for you.
neal

Post by neal »

Thanks for your message Wilman (GTI). I will write you an email afterwards to explain my concerns and the reason that I am asking for views on the forum. It is not at all Spunkster's faults as he was just trying to clear up my queries. For those that have been following the forum, I questioned the "dyno tuning" party mainly due to: 1) ive read from other posts that when they did their k100 tuning, it was done on a dyno machine... and also 2) i feel that somehow some other stock ecu feels about the same (except their vtec comes in later and it comes in like a "turbo lag" i.e. mine is smoother after being k100 tuned... hence i started to question the methodology used... My concern with using a base map based on another car maybe not be as accurate as it could be... + i doubt the other car has the exact modifications that ive done and even if yes, its still a different car... hence this is my concern...

anyways thanks spunkster for answering my questions, i will handle this with Wilman ourselves. Thanks, and happy hondata-ing!