2005 JDM ep3 type-r k20a 6sp with 37820-prd-j02 ecu

Hondata model coverage & ECU application questions.
cbDrift

2005 JDM ep3 type-r k20a 6sp with 37820-prd-j02 ecu

Post by cbDrift »

HI there,

I have checked with the local dealer here in New Zealand and they have confirmed that this ecu is compatible with k-pro v4.

So my questions are

-what kal file file would be correct to use as a base to upload to a k-pro ecu for the jdm ep3 k20a? the only k20a kal file i can see in the public download for kmanager is k20a-itr.kal for 310cc injectors and intake, exhaust and headers - is there a "standard" kal to suit a totally factory spec high compression jdm ep3?

-is there any way i can find the original factory ignition maps for my car out of my ecu to use as a reference if there is no suitable kal file for the jdm engine? eg read out of a binary file the fuel and timing and other bits to put into some kal file to make the engine run exactly as it would on an unmodified ecu?

-can i send off my jdm prd-j02 ecu - get k-pro installed - get the ecu back - plug it in and upload a publicly available kal file and then start and drive the car to the tuner i want to use without it exploding or melting down on the way there? :)

-if i buy a replacment ecu from my dealer with a k-pro installed - what other gotchas are there i need to investigate (immobiliser / reverse lockout etc) eg. if i dont want to use my prd-j02 ecu and buy a differnt one from the dealer and its say a prc ecu instead would it be better to send off my specific ecu to get modded to prevent these sorts of issues occuring or the other model of ecu will be 100% compatible and work with all the hardware the car has?

Just investigating options for my car at the moment and need more information before i spend money on modifying a factory ecu rather than say buying another ecu
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: 2005 JDM ep3 type-r k20a 6sp with 37820-prd-j02 ecu

Post by Spunkster »

You can use the ITR calibration as a starting point.

There are no PRD base calibrations so you will have to use the next best thing.

If you do not want to use the PRD ECU you can use a US PRB ECU from an 02-04 RSX Type S.
cbDrift

Re: 2005 JDM ep3 type-r k20a 6sp with 37820-prd-j02 ecu

Post by cbDrift »

Thanks heaps for the reply :) greatly appreciated!