- The specifications of this car are 9:1 compression with JE pistons.
Oil is Mobil 1. The turbo kit is a Drag turbo with a T3/T4 hybrid.
Fuelling is via RC 440cc injectors and Vortech adjustable 1:1 fuel
pressure regulator set to 60lb static. The fuel pump was the stock
Civic CX pump supplemented by an inline MSD pump.
- The air compressor looks too large for this capacity of car as the
turbo only begins spooling up at 3000 RPM, with full boost reached by
about 4100 RPM. As a result we think that the turbo is operating
outside its efficiency range.The first power run netted us about 225
Hp at 6Lb boost. Using a wide band 02 sensor the mixture.
- Ignition timing was interesting. Many people run stock ignition
timing for turbos. At 8000 RPM this is something like 24 degrees btdc
with the stock ecu. With the Hondata tuned ecu, we found no power
gains advancing the ignition beyond 18 degrees btdc at 10Lb boost.
This will mean that cylinder pressures will be lower for the same
amount of power output. Injector duty cycle was reaching 75%, meaning
that either bigger injectors or more fuel pressure will be needed for
much more power.
- If we ran the GSR manifold with on the locked on the short runners,
we lost 10-15 hp below 5000 RPM. If we locked the car on the long
intake runners, we lost about 15 Peak hp. Watch this space soon for
the 3 Bar map sensor upgrade, when we take the car to higher levels of
- On road performance - the car pulls at least 150 (7500 RPM) in fifth
with more to come on 4 lb of boost with 30mpg at 85-90 mph.