Technical Information RSX Type R Cam Installation
These cams run the same lift but more duration than the stock RSX type S camshafts. Hence the stock RSX valve springs can be used.
The dyno chart shows three runs on an RSX with CAI and catback..
- Run 3 - Base run with stock camshafts and the Hondata K20A2-4 program
- Run 7 - ITR camshafts and the Hondata K20A program
- Run 5 - ITR camshafts and the Hondata K20A2-4 program
- The ITR cams showed the most gains between 7000 and 8000 rpm
- The Hondata K20A program gains everywhere except at 5000 and 8000 rpm.
- The Hondata K20A program makes more average HP than just installing the cams alone.
- The 5200 vtec dip is substantially reduced and the VTEC transition is almost undetectable
- The RSX runs rich, probably from lack of air. Installing an ITR intake will probably fix this.
- Power is still below a K20A ITR engine. Installing an ITR intake will probably narrow the gap.
The K20A uses an intake with constant diameter intake runners
The K20A2's intake is much narrower at the plenum than at the head. We feel this restricts the breathing substantially. This will be the subject of a future test. Adding this manifold will allow more airflow leaning out the rich AF of the vehicle above.