Cranking, but no start

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
TheLawProject

Cranking, but no start

Post by TheLawProject »

Good afternoon.... So bear with me, as I try to explain my situation as clear and precise as possible. The engine is a stock b20vtec, GSR head, stock intake manifold, stock exhaust manifold, stock cams, stock injectors, stock p72 distributor, NGK plug wires, stock everything. It is running on a S300 p72 ecu, with a map from Jeff Evens. The engine has been running in this format for 2 years now without a problem. 3 months ago, I put it on jack stands to upgrade suspension components, and such. It sat that way for three months. I would start it once a week and let it fully warm up, so the fan would kick on. Last week on my first drive off the jack stands, everything started out as normal. about 10 minutes into my drive, as I was slowing at a stop sign, I blipped the throttle and the car just bogged out, and made a huge groan noise (intake suction I suspect), and died. After a few attempts to start it, and some cranking, it did start. I immediately drove home. On the way, under medium throttle out of a turn it cut out for a second, and came back. I was able to make it home. Once in the garage the car would idle, but with any blip of the throttle, it would just bog out, and die. The next day I got it started and the same thing would happen. Blipping the throttle immediately bogs it and it dies. But, if I would slowly bring revs up, no problem, and then I could rev it out. That brings us up to today. Now the car wont even start. I have drained old gas and have fresh gas in the tank. I have 45 psi fuel pressure while cranking. I have fuel entering cylinders. I have spark from all plugs. That was confirmed by pulling plugs and checking each one. Timing belt is in time. TPS shows 0-100 percent. IAT and ECT are within a degree of each other. When looking at the timing tables and fuel tables, my map sensor is reading -4.2 with key on (4600 ft elevation here). When cranking the engine, I'm seeing -4 degrees timing, and on the timing table its in the 8th column. I even tried a stock p72 ecu, and got the same results. Ive checked and changed grounds as well. Cap and Rotor look normal.

I know thats a lot, but I wanted to give as much info as I could. Thank you in advance.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Cranking, but no start

Post by Spunkster »

Have you checked the mechanical timing of the cam gears against the crank?
TheLawProject

Post by TheLawProject »

Yes. The cam gears are in time with the crank. Again, the car ran perfectly before putting it on Jack stands for 3 months. Then this issue arose.
TheLawProject

Post by TheLawProject »

I have attached the Calibration that I am using along with a datalog of me trying to start the car.
Attachments
b20vtec base file Jeff Evens adjustments made by me, vtec @4500 IAB@4500, Timng adjusted lower.skl
Current Calibration
(43.15 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
cranking no start.s3d
Datalong, no start
(140.11 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Have you tried your ECU on a known working vehicle?
TheLawProject

Post by TheLawProject »

No, but I tried a stock P72 and got the same results.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Based on this it does not sound like an ECU related issue, and it either wiring or mechanical in nature.