2013 Civic SI - Looking for help with a tune

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
SH0TT0

2013 Civic SI - Looking for help with a tune

Post by SH0TT0 »

Hello everyone, I picked up my flashpro quite some time ago but never actually got a proper tune for my car. Currently running on the hondata's reflash map for the 2012-2014 SI. My car seems to hold up with this tune but it runs super poorly. The main thing that I notice is that sometimes when I do WOT pulls and I go from cruising to flooring the pedal my car likes to stutter before pulling. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but I am pretty sure it is not suppose to be like that. My current mods are a Skunk 2 Catback and a DC sports 3" SRI. I am very new to tuning and have not one single clue on what I am doing that is why I used the base maps. So after I found out it runs bad I turned to here in hope of getting some help. Any help would be appreciated greatly, Thank you guys :).
EFICU

Re: 2013 Civic SI - Looking for help with a tune

Post by EFICU »

Do you have plans for a downpipe or anything else in the near future?
SH0TT0

Post by SH0TT0 »

Thank you for responding :).

No I do not have any plans currently for anything engine performance wise in the near future.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay. The proper way to tune it would take around 8-10 revisions to get it dialed. That involved going in and tuning each cam angle one by one which is the proper way to do it, then blend the tables and use the data to decide vtec rpm and cam angle mapping. The datalogs would need to be in the twenty minute range. Do you have the time to make that many datalogs? With gas prices right now I try to get them done as quick as possible, but this is the proper way to do it and get it all right. Let me know.

Have you made any datalogs on the current calibration? If so, maybe post one just to see how it was acting. I'm thinking you were running a MAF calibration and that was the cause of the stumble you mention. It can be other things things though. Either way we shouldn't have that issue at all with the new tune.
SH0TT0

Post by SH0TT0 »

Yes I do have time to do datalogs and I am okay with the 20 minute drives sense I basically do them all the time. Just need my car to run good and if this is the proper way than I am down to do this cause I want my car to be enjoyable again. Also going on the last thing you said I know how to make datalogs just never had done any before so unfortunately I do not have any one made my old tune.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good. Yeah the long route is the only one I prefer to do, only some guys don't have the time and/or plan to add mods in the near future so it's silly to do it all over again. Since you don't have plans for more mods soon, it's best to do it this way, plus you get to see and feel how it all works.

We will start on the 0* cam angle with vtec at 4500. So shoot for twenty minutes with as much stop and go driving as possible. On the drive, we need to make a third gear wide open throttle (WOT) pull from 2500-7500 to work on the WOT fuel. The 0* cam angle is the least powerful, so don't get discouraged if it doesn't feel strong. The 0 cam lays the foundation for the entire tune and helps us build a solid base.

Take this one for a spin when you can. Also, be sure to datalog through the FlashPro device and not a laptop. We get a lot more data from the files recorded via the FlashPro.
SH0TT0.Sd.Rev01 (0Cam)(Vtec45000.fpcal
(22.59 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
SH0TT0

Post by SH0TT0 »

Okay sounds good I will get on the tune in the morning because it is currently 3:39 AM EST lol. Thank you very much for the help :).
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

If you’re up til’ 4am, you might as well stay up. Haha. No problem though, we’ll see how it looks.
SH0TT0

Post by SH0TT0 »

So I drove on the tune and I see what you mean by the power is not there right now but other than that the car was driving pretty good. I have provided 2 datalogs because I am not sure if my first pull was good enough so I did a second one to make sure. Also I drove a bit on highway so I also made a second datalog just incase you needed more information.
Attachments
datalog0002.fpdl
Pull and a bit of driving
(2.61 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
datalog0001.fpdl
Pull and 20 Minute drive
(5.16 MiB) Downloaded 57 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah the 0* cam sucks honestly for power, but it's important to build a good base. I am going to have you make another on that cam angle, I want to verify a few things before moving on. I don't know if it's a driving style, or you're driving in a low speed area, but try to run up to at least 4000rpm or so before shifting to the next gear. It looks like you were doing a lot of low rpm shifting, we want to get the revs up to at least 4000 before shifting to gather data. It looks like most the shifts were around 42500 or so. So take this one for another twenty minute drive with some higher shift points, and at least one WOT pull in third. I just want to get some part throttle data shifting higher, and confirm some WOT fuel stuff.
SH0TT0.Sd.Rev01.1 (0Cam)(Vtec4500).fpcal
(23.04 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
SH0TT0

Post by SH0TT0 »

Okay it is freezing rain for me currently so I will get on the tune next time I get to drive. Also to answer your question on why I was shifting earlier I was going through town to get some food and it just happens to be that max speed was 50 Km/H so I really didn't get to rev it out. I will go on backroads the next time I am able to drive so that way I got more to work with. Thank you
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good, yeah I figured it was something like that or a parking lot somewhere so it's all good. If nothing else, keep it in second or third gear on those speed restricted roads so the rpms are up and varying. I just want to make sure we get it as clean as we can for you is all. It's all about average data, so we want to run through the normal rpm ranges to dial it all in.

We'll see how it looks when mother nature chills out. Haha.
SH0TT0

Post by SH0TT0 »

Okay finally was able to go out and do some driving after the most bi-polar weather ever, Canada for you lol. We are looking at better weather now so hopefully I can get these sooner to you. Anyways I shifted like you said so I hope it was good enough this time. The only thing that I tweaked a bit though is that I was shifting at 3000 RPM for 1st and 4000+ RPM for all other gears. Also at the beginning I am shifting early because of I was trying to get out of my neighborhood before I do anything.
Attachments
datalog0003.fpdl
20+ Min Drive with WOT pull near the end
(5.13 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah that one was a ton better, nice work. Sorry to have you focus so hard on all that, I just like to get as much data as we can on this stuff so it's as good as it can be. But the driving was great on that, so shoot for that in the future here as best you can. We will now move to the 15* cam angle with vtec at 5500. This one should feel quite a bit better, so take it for a spin when you can. Still shoot for the twenty minutes and a clean third gear pull from 2500-7500.
SH0TT0.SD.Rev02 (15Cam)(Vtec4500).fpcal
(23.04 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
SH0TT0

Post by SH0TT0 »

Thank you :). Also do you want me to keep the shifting style the same way I did to the last one?