Help tuning 14 Si Coupe with unknown CAI and Invidia N1 3.25” exhaust

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
mrpolk1371

Help tuning 14 Si Coupe with unknown CAI and Invidia N1 3.25” exhaust

Post by mrpolk1371 »

So I’ve been playing around with tuning and all is going pretty decent for the most part. I just always end up running too rich and feel like I’m going to do more harm than good. I’ve really just been focusing on AFR. I want to get as much power as I can out of it but also wanna keep decent fuel economy haha if someone could give me a few tips or help me with my tune that I’m running I would appreciate it so much! I also don’t mind paying!
EFICU

Re: Help tuning 14 Si Coupe with unknown CAI and Invidia N1 3.25” exhaust

Post by EFICU »

Best thing to do would be to post a most recent datalog and the calibration you have uploaded to the ECU so we can take a look at what you're working with. And also maybe outline some of the things you're concerned about in more detail. Such as are you making fuel changes based on what the FlashPro software is saying to change, or are you using your own judgment to make the changes. Stuff would help us see what you see and then see how we can help you with it.
mrpolk1371

Post by mrpolk1371 »

Ok I’ll go ahead and upload it tomorrow afternoon once after I make it to work. On the tune I’m on right now, it’s basically just the PRL intake basemap with a 2% increase on the WOT and 1% on the ignition. Just did that for a little bit of response and run as close to basemap until I can get someone with experience to tune it for me haha
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

I see, so it sounds like you’re making global changes to the tables then. You’ll have to go in and fine tune each set of cells so you can smooth out the AFR. Then once you get it flat, you can go in an pull fuel or add fuel globally, but focusing on each section is generally better for dialing it in.

Yeah post up what you can tomorrow and we’ll see how it looks. The PRL tune it MAP based so making fuel adjustments will be very easy.

Are you planning to add any mods in the near future, or is this your setup into the foreseeable future?
mrpolk1371

Post by mrpolk1371 »

Aahhh gotcha that makes a lot more sense hahaha and I honestly feel like running it MAP based might be the issue that I’m having that I’ve noticed. When I go into WOT, I can feel it lag super hard the pick up as it goes through VTEC and it feels like it runs pretty rough. I actually think I might upload my old MAF tune that I was running and data log that because it was running a lot smoother than the tune I have now. Sorry I didn’t think about it until you stated that! But I will post the datalog tomorrow afternoon! And I plan on going ... DP within the next 2 months and FBO within the next 6-8 months. Nothing sooner because I will be driving to Michigan at the end of march so I want to wait until after the trip and I can touch back up on my maintenance
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

With the PRL intake you will want to be MAP based. The way that intake is setup, it can't get a good reading from the MAF sensor so you would be chasing your tale so to speak on scaling the MAF sensor. Three things can screw up the vtec crossover, poor fuel, wrong vtec rpm engagement, and cam angle before and after vtec being very different. The cam can only rotate so fast, so if there is a large jump in commanded cam angle the car may not feel smooth on the crossover. With the cam angle being close or the same at vtec, you should get a nice engagement if the rpm is chosen properly and the fuel is right. It's sort of delicate balance to getting it right. You shouldn't necessarily feel vtec engage, it should be more of a linear increase in power carrying on where the low cam would normally fall on it's face. All of this is why there really is no one good vtec rpm for every car, granted you can make educated guesses, but using data from each car specifically will help you get the best out of your setup.

Yeah once you post up everything tomorrow we will know more and have actual data. Either way though it's a straightforward process and we can help you get it dialed. I may recommend starting you on my stuff just because it makes the path to getting dialed a little easier, but if you decide you want to stay with the file you're running we can try to make it the best we can.

Since you plan to add parts soon, we can do a quick tune on it and then address it in more detail when you add the DP. Either way, once we see the calibration and the datalog we can game plan from there and see which route you want go with everything.
mrpolk1371

Post by mrpolk1371 »

Aaahhh that makes so much more sense now! See I think cam angle is the next thing that I need to start learning because I’m honestly so lost when it comes to it hahaha yeah I wouldn’t mind starting on one of your maps if that would make things easier haha I’ll be sending that datalog here in a bit
mrpolk1371

Post by mrpolk1371 »

Here is my datalog from this morning
Attachments
Morning pull 63degree weather.fpdl
(3.16 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah it's definitely too rich, don't do any more WOT pulls until we get you on something else. The fuel injectors are maxed out from too much fuel on your WOT pulls. At that point it's way too rich to be safe.

Are you datalogging through a laptop? If so, for future datalogs, please datalog through the FlashPro itself using the datalog button on the device and then upload files from the FlashPro. It samples a lot faster than a laptop can. You can still watch everything on the laptop like you are, but send me the files from the FlashPro itself.

I put together a quick file for right now to get you out of the other file you're on. Take this one for a drive when you can and shoot for 20 minutes in length with at least one WOT pull in third gear from 2500-7500.
mrpolk1371.SD.Rev01 (Blended)(Vtec4900).fpcal
(22.95 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
mrpolk1371

Post by mrpolk1371 »

Aahhh that would explain why my AFR drops all the way down to like 10.1 🤦🏾‍♂️ Yes I was datalogging from the laptop but I got you going forward! I was just in a rush to get this sent to ya before I headed in to work haha I’ll give this one a ride tonight as soon as I get off of work!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah 10.1 is as low as the stock sensor can read, so it’s actually richer than that. The injector duty cycle should be around the high 70s or low 80s, being that they are maxed out before redline means it’s very rich. No big deal though, we’ll be close on this first one and then clean it up from there.

Sounds good on the datalogging. Just wanted to male sure we get as much data as possible through the FlashPro init itself.

We’ll see how it looks.
mrpolk1371

Post by mrpolk1371 »

Here is my first datalog on that tune. It felt pretty good and seems like it stayed consistent for the most part! I did notice on the WOT pull that it pulls a little bit at first then picks up the closer that it gets to VTEC then of course VTEC. other than that it felt pretty smooth. I didnt really pay much attention to the actual data while I was driving because everyone and there mother was on the freeway but from what I felt, it felt pretty decent overall minus that small lag until VTEC
Attachments
blended test1.fpdl
(2.63 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah my main focus was getting you on something a lot safer and running right, everything else can be adjusted. We almost nailed it on that first try which is good. Your max injector duty cycle went from 100% down to 82% which is great. So in theory, it was at least 20% rich before. So that was my main focus, that and the part throttle fuel was really rich and now we're almost dead on.

I went ahead and lowered vtec down to 4500 for you. See what you think, but honestly without doing a semi complete tune we're just guessing at the ideal RPM for it. But see what you think there, and tell me if the power is linear up to and after vtec. If we have to, we can do a couple cam angle locked revisions to get some data. Once you get the DP on there though it changes everything and it needs to be retuned.

Take it for a spin and see what you think. It might be able to take some more timing too, like I mentioned, my main thing was getting you onto something safe right away which worked out well. Feel free to have some fun with this one, it's plenty safe to have fun with if you want. Just be sure to get at least one WOT pull in third gear from 2500-7500 and at roughly 20 minutes in length.
mrpolk1371.SD.Rev02 (Blended)(Vtec4500).fpcal
(23 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
mrpolk1371

Post by mrpolk1371 »

Oh yeah this one was a LOT better on the pulls in my opinion! It was far smoother closer to VTEC and felt amazing! You're going to see an idle moment I had stopped at the gas station for cigs haha the only thing that I noticed this time was the knock count but it still felt amazing to me!
Attachments
blended test 2.fpdl
(3.6 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah that's why giving everyone the same RPM for vtec isn't ideal. Not only can it be data driven, but some guys feel different things in the car. So we'll leave it at 4500 then since you like the feel and it looks good.

The only knock you had were on your 5th and 6th gear WOT pulls, which put the most load on the engine. I removed some timing from those area in this next one, and made a couple fuel adjustments. We're just about there, but we'll see how it looks. Take this one for a spin when you can.
mrpolk1371.SD.Rev03 (Blended)(Vtec4500).fpcal
(23.09 KiB) Downloaded 88 times