Want help with tuning my FBO FA5.

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
simplydopek20

Want help with tuning my FBO FA5.

Post by simplydopek20 »

Hi,
I did some datalogging and wanted help to get my car tuned to drive more efficiently. I also noticed that I had a lot of knock counts which I hope that it is nothing bad and may be a glitch. Any help to make my car run at it's best without a full tune would be much appreciated. I am still planning to install more bolt-on parts so I may not get a full tune until then. I am also wondering if RDX fuel injectors would help a FBO motor? Thanks

MODS:
Hybrid Racing CAI
TSX Throttle body
Invidia 4-2-1 race header
Full Race 3" cat-back exhaust with a J's Racing Muffler

Currently running base map of CAI/Skunk2 cat-back/Skunk2 header

I have attached a few data logs. Any help would be great.
Attachments
datalog-crusing-02-02-2022.fpdl
(336.15 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
datalog-3rd-gearpull-uphill-02-02-2022.fpdl
(84.84 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
datalog-3rd-gearpull-02-02-2022.fpdl
(53 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
datalog-1st+2nd-02-02-2022.fpdl
(66.96 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
EFICU

Re: Want help with tuning my FBO FA5.

Post by EFICU »

In looking it all over real quick, there are a few things that are of interest. Can you please post the calibration you're running so we can look it over? The cam angle isn't following the one in the calibration you mention and there is no knock retard happening. Something in the calibration file you have is not setup right or there is another issue going. Please post the saved file you are running so we can look through that.

To your other questions, it looks like a simple issue of too much timing IMO causing the knock. In some areas, there is almost 10* too much timing IMO which is causing knock. So on the surface it seems like a simple issue of too much timing and therefore some needs to be removed.

I would recommend getting RDX injectors, your injector duty cycle is 92% at peak which is at the point you want to think about upgrading the injectors. Anything over 90% is a good idea to upgrade.

When you say you don't want to get a full tune, any reason for that? With all the mods you have it would be good to do a full tune so you can build a cam angle map that takes advantage of your parts package. I would at least recommend doing a quick route tune which would take 6-8 revisions, but the proper route would take 10-12. Totally up to you though.

Anyways, if you can post the calibration you're running that would be great. There are a few things I am curious to see. If the calibration you're running is not setup for speed density either, that would be another issue you're having. The HR intake needs to be tuned speed density and not via the MAF.
simplydopek20

Post by simplydopek20 »

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have attached the calibration that I am currently using. I also noticed in the vehicle section, it shows Civic Type R 2006-2011 FN2 ASIA as the vehicle if that matters.

As for a full tune, sorry I meant that I just wanted to add some more parts before taking it to a shop for a tune. But if you are happy to help with an e-tune, I would be more than happy to accept it.

I will be looking to purchase some RDX injectors in the near future. Maybe a month or 2.

Thanks and I will respond back in the morning. If you need more data logs, I will do some more tomorrow morning. If you upload a new calibration, I can upload it in the morning and data log with the new calibration.

Thank you so much.
Attachments
CAI Skunk2 header and exhaust.fpcal
(18.8 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

No problem. Yeah it looks like you grabbed a race calibration and the knock ignition limit table has been bypassed, which leaves you with no knock retard to help prevent all the knock you had in your datalogs. This is why I don't bypass it in my calibrations, because you never know when you might get some poor fuel, or in the event like this, someone finds the calibration and uses it which causes them issues. With the knock ignition limit table properly done, you would still have some knock, but nowhere near as much because the ECU would have been pulling timing to reduce the knock. None of this is your fault at all, you made the best decision you could so please don't any of that personal, just explaining the scenario.

What are your future parts plans and how soon do you plan to add them? I see you mention the RDXs in a month or two, but what were the other planned mods and their timeframe? Also with the RDXs, please be sure to get them from a reputable vendor or the dealer. There are some fake ones going around that are causing some issues. See this webpage for more information. https://iconicauto-design.com/blogs/new ... -injectors

Yeah let me know which route you want to go on the tuning, if you plan to add mods in a couple months we can tune it the quicker way. If you don't plan more mods besides injectors for a while, we can tune it the long route. Totally up to you and how much time you have. Then we can get you out of that calibration you're running so we can get rid of the knock.
simplydopek20

Post by simplydopek20 »

Hi,
Thank you for your input. I am going to purchase RDX injectors (acura dealer) and a throttle body spacer in the next couple of days. Hopefully I will get the parts soon and installed in the next couple of weeks. Do you recommend a quick tune or is it ok to wait to until I install all my parts?

Thanks
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

No problem. Yeah you will also want the Toyota injector clips so you can make the whole thing plug n play. Otherwise, you have to cut and splice. The Toyota injector Clips for RDXs are part number 90980-11875 and you can get them from the dealer or places like Heeltoe https://www.heeltoeauto.com/fuel-rail/t ... 1875..html

For the time being, we can get you started on a basemap just to get things more safe while you wait for parts. Once you get the RDXs, we can decide which route to go based on your time frame for more mods and what you want to do. Give this calibration a drive when you can, try to shoot for 20 minutes or so in length, and at least one wide open throttle (WOT) pull in third gear from 2500-8500. If you want the rev limiter lower let me know.
Simplydopek20.SD.Rev01 (Blended)(Vtec4300).fpcal
(23.17 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
simplydopek20

Post by simplydopek20 »

Hi,
Thank you. I will upload this in the morning and I will get some data logging done tomorrow. I greatly appreciate it.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good. We’ll see how it looks and make the adjustments we need. It will be close, but certainly need some adjustments. The main thing is getting rid of the knock for you, the fuel stuff is easy.

Let me know how it goes.
simplydopek20

Post by simplydopek20 »

Hi,
I have been busy but I finally got some data logging done. Please look it over and let me know how my car is running.
Thanks
Attachments
Simplydopek20.Highway.Cruise at night.fpdl
(3.16 MiB) Downloaded 50 times
Simplydopek20.Highway.Cruise.fpdl
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
Simplydopek20.Cruise and 3rd gear pull.fpdl
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Overall not a bad start. The fueling was pretty good, I made some adjustments all over to tighten things up. We still had quite a bit of knock, which makes me thing we might have false knock happening. But we'll check again in this next one.

Are all your engine mounts OEM? Or do you have any aftermarket mounts, rear, or otherwise? What octane fuel are you running?

Here is the next one for you. Take this one for a spin when you can.
Simplydopek20.SD.Rev02 (Blended)(Vtec4300).fpcal
(23.34 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
simplydopek20

Post by simplydopek20 »

I am just on pump 91 gas and I have a rear 95a motor mount.
Attached is the new data log.
Attachments
Simplydopek20.Highway.Cruise.Rev02.fpdl
(4.49 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Gotcha. Yeah I was just curious about all the knock, so I was curious about the mounts. The knock was definitely down in this one, so it might just be a little sensitive. The majority of the knock is in one area, so we will see how it looks in this next one. All the fueling is just about dead on, so we'll see how it all looks too. Take this one for a spin when you can.
Simplydopek20.SD.Rev03 (Blended)(Vtec4300).fpcal
(23.38 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
simplydopek20

Post by simplydopek20 »

Thanks for all the help.
I finally put in my RDX 410 injectors and changed the injector size to 410. I re-uploaded the tune and the car runs great. I just downloaded my data log, but I have a lot of knocks during full throttle. It would be great if you can help. I am setting up an appointment soon to get a tune so my car can run to the fullest without issues.
Attachments
Simplydopek20.2nd Cruise and 3rd gear pull with 410 injectors.fpdl
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
Simplydopek20.Cruise and 3rd gear pull with 410 injectors.fpdl
(2.38 MiB) Downloaded 41 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah the fuel stuff looks pretty good. We've already pulled a bunch of timing for the knock and it doesn't seem to be helping much. I think you'll have to wait for your tuner to work on it and hopefully they can find a solution. The main thing is finding a tuner who has audible knock detection equipment so they can tell if the knock is real or fake. That's the main thing to focus on. If you're going with an e-tuner, they will probably just raise the knock sensitivity tables so it will stop recording the knock. So you have to determine how you feel about that.
simplydopek20

Post by simplydopek20 »

I will wait for my local tuner to see what he can do. You have been very helpful. Thanks.