CEL after upload while running

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Digenex

CEL after upload while running

Post by Digenex »

Hi,

I have a P28 with s300 V3 running on a b18c6 turbo.
what happened was, when test driving, i changed the map during idle and uploaded it to the ecu.
I don't know the exact moment but the car suddenly stalled. without any sign (like you turn off the ignition)
the only thing i can still remember was the main relay clicking a few times.

I don't really know if it was exactly when I uploaded but.... my question is, can the upload cause the ecu to be fried?
i checked it visually but see no signs.
since then it only started once on my hondata ecu but ran very bad. I used several maps but without result.

I did a lot of troubleshooting already
what I already ruled out:
- distributor (borrowed from a friend)
- main relay (also from a friend)
- timing is ok
- belt did not slip
- i have spark on all 4
- fuel pump is ok
- no other cel codes
- ground seems ok

When plugging in the ecu, the IACV makes a buzz sound, which indicates a ecu problem i've read
but is it just coincidence or could the upload be the culprit? and what resistor or capacitator could be affected? (if any)
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: CEL after upload while running

Post by Spunkster »

The first thing to do is to close the program, reopen it, load your calibration and upload to the ECU while the vehicle is not running but has the key on. See if this resolves the issue.
Digenex

Post by Digenex »

Hi, yes I did that also/ Uploaded a stock map with only injector size adjusted when the car wasn't running.
it did not fix the problem unfortunately.

What I noticed now: when the car has been sitting for 2 days, I can get it to start but idles extremely rough. i have to part throttle it to keep it running but produces a LOT of smoke (I assume too rich) and stalls if I let go.
I can do this 2 times, but the 3rd time the car will not start anymore... (this was on the stock map AND tuned map)
so I think there are 2 options:
- car flooded and will not start again until the fuel evaporates? (but then what is the cause and reason for cel? )
- something electrical (ECU) heats up and fails?
crluver123

Post by crluver123 »

a cel with no stored codes is a code zero, which is for a bad ecu.
Do you know if the main capacitor was replaced when the s300 was installed?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Without a picture it is impossible to say for sure.
Digenex

Post by Digenex »

Hi, new update: I changed back to stock injectors so I could try the stock P73 ecu, and it works normally with this setup.
plugged the p28 back in with a stock map and the car idles a bit rough (but better as with the 550cc's) but with a lot of smoke and no datalogging or live sensors on smanager. (iacv was buzzing again at startup)

unless the main capacitor came with the kit i'm 95% sure it wasn't replaced.

pics:
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

No capacitors have been replaced in that ECU.
Digenex

Post by Digenex »

ok, thanks for confirming. Do you know what capacitors are responsible for the issue I have? (no datalog, to much fuel probably, iacv buzz at startup...)
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It is best to replace all capacitors: https://www.hondata.com/products/access ... acitor-kit

Post a picture of the bottom of the ECU showing the soldering done for the socketing.
Digenex

Post by Digenex »

fyi; on the bottom row number 6 (counting from right) is soldered by me. It looked a bit different from the rest so I tried to add some solder to it.
i'm no expert so therefore the crappy look... it didn't help also so...

I bought a new P28 board today from a shop that sells them refurbished with S300 socketing and main capacitor replaced, so can test tomorrow with my S300 board.
Regardless I still want to try to fix this one so i'll order the replacement capacitors and hopefully solve the problem.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It looks like there may be some cold solder joints or joints with little to no solder at all.
Digenex

Post by Digenex »

Hi, late response but I eventually took some time to troubleshoot again and it was indeed the bad pin 6 that was the issue.
the problem is you solder from the back side, but the connection with the board is made trough the front side.