Possible To Tune Fuel Overrun/Map For Exhaust Crackle?

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
AlwaysInVtec

Possible To Tune Fuel Overrun/Map For Exhaust Crackle?

Post by AlwaysInVtec »

This is going to sound like a really stupid question and honestly it kind of is. Is there any possible way to tune the fuel overrun or any part of the map so that the exhaust has a burble, crackle, or popping sound like the srt4's and the f40 have? I know it's something in the way those cars are tuned where the fuel isn't being cut when they're off the throttle, but I have yet to figure out if that's possible with the s300. Right now my car makes 354hp 248tq on 16lbs and sounds great, I just wish it sounded better off the throttle. Like I said I know it's a stupid and sort of ricer question to want something purely for the noise aspect, but I really like it. If there is any way...any safe way of tuning that sound into the map or adjusting the fuel overruns to produce that noise PLEASE let me know. Thanks in advance
AlwaysInVtec

Re: Possible To Tune Fuel Overrun/Map For Exhaust Crackle?

Post by AlwaysInVtec »

I finally figured it out!!!

I adjusted the "Overrun Fuel Cutoff" setting to

"Overrun Fuel Cutoff TPS"
Throttle : -10%
Delay : 10ms

"Overrun Fuel Cutoff MAP"
KPa : 8 (across the entire table)

"Overrun Fuel Cutoff Initial & Return"
RPM : 8000 (across both tables)

That got it working sort of

I then set the ignition timing where I was at during decel to 24 degrees (from 1500-8000 on the far most left hand column)

And added just a bit of fuel to that area as well

Doing all of that keeps the afr during decel between 14.5 and 16.5 which allows the car to make lots of nice crackling, popping, and burbling noises which I love.

I'm sure not every car would use these settings and I'd imagine it would depend on each individual setup based on injectors and what type of fuel you're on (I'm on e85).

I also don't know if this is detrimental to the motor in any way so I'm not going to suggest anyone do this to their own car unless you're willing to risk the unknown effects of this over a long term duration.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

It's not good for the engine. The un-burnt fuel washes the oil from the cylinder walls and wears out the rings.
Hondata
AlwaysInVtec

Post by AlwaysInVtec »

Hmm. I've heard of fuel wash before, although I thought that only occurred under extremely rich condition, for example anything below like 10.0 afr. Figured keeping the afr's a bit leaner around what the car would normally see under normal driving conditions it would be okay. If that's not the case and any amount of un-burnt fuel will wash the cylinders down then how do srt4's, some bmw's, the f type, and the f40 get away with it?
iselfdevi

Post by iselfdevi »

Are you still driving around like this? Just curious.
2012 Acura TSX 4cyl 6MT - flashpro - ct-e supercharger - ct-e icebox intake - deatschwerks 550cc injectors - RV6 downpipe/pcd - Vit tuned
king0drift

Post by king0drift »

@alwaysinvtec
u still running pop, bangs, and crackle setup?

is it possible to run this on a dual map setup with a switch u think?
thx
typer86

Post by typer86 »

AlwaysInVtec wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:28 pm I finally figured it out!!!

I then set the ignition timing where I was at during decel to 24 degrees (from 1500-8000 on the far most left hand column)

Doing all of that keeps the afr during decel between 14.5 and 16.5 which allows the car to make lots of nice crackling, popping, and burbling noises which I love.

I'm sure not every car would use these settings and I'd imagine it would depend on each individual setup based on injectors and what type of fuel you're on (I'm on e85).

I also don't know if this is detrimental to the motor in any way so I'm not going to suggest anyone do this to their own car unless you're willing to risk the unknown effects of this over a long term duration.
If hondata would implement a logic to cut the fuel after 3 seconds or so, and give the possibility to adjust the fuel cutoff from 4000 to 8000+ rpm it should be also no problem for the walls because the piston speed is so high that enough oil will be added in the next cycle.
The engine get this issue in low rpm and in this condition all ECU programmers won't exhaust cackle.

... The ford focus RS has it. The Hyundai i30n also... All do perform the exhaust crackle at high RPM only and this is what we are not able to Archiv with hondata flash pro or s300
_Y_R_O_J_

Post by _Y_R_O_J_ »

typer86 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:45 pm
AlwaysInVtec wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:28 pm I finally figured it out!!!

If hondata would implement a logic to cut the fuel after 3 seconds or so, and give the possibility to adjust the fuel cutoff from 4000 to 8000+ rpm it should be also no problem for the walls because the piston speed is so high that enough oil will be added in the next cycle.
The engine get this issue in low rpm and in this condition all ECU programmers won't exhaust cackle.

... The ford focus RS has it. The Hyundai i30n also... All do perform the exhaust crackle at high RPM only and this is what we are not able to Archiv with hondata flash pro or s300
@typer86 so, when is the piston speed 'to low' for crackle sounds as you say? because my stock (straight piped) cr-z still crackles on 2500rpm when i release/play with the gaspedal? or is here no problem because something with the ignition delay?
Stevieh6

Post by Stevieh6 »

I have my timing set to -4 on decel (far left colum) but only between 2500 and 3500 so I can have some fun banging around town. Just need to lightly touch the throttle on decel to get it banging
rvalente

Post by rvalente »

Stevieh6 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:41 pm I have my timing set to -4 on decel (far left colum) but only between 2500 and 3500 so I can have some fun banging around town. Just need to lightly touch the throttle on decel to get it banging
No other changes? Just - 4 on column 1 between 3500 and 2500? No need to change cutoff configuration? Thanks.
402Car_Kid

Post by 402Car_Kid »

rvalente wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:40 pm
Stevieh6 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:41 pm I have my timing set to -4 on decel (far left colum) but only between 2500 and 3500 so I can have some fun banging around town. Just need to lightly touch the throttle on decel to get it banging
No other changes? Just - 4 on column 1 between 3500 and 2500? No need to change cutoff configuration? Thanks.
Shouldn't need to. It would be -4 on columns 1&2 (for whatever rpms) from what ive seen. You just have to keep your foot barely on the gas to get it to do it that way you don't have to keep your injectors open all the time. Can also put it on a switch.
fg2.Kreuser

Post by fg2.Kreuser »

There is no other way for you to make it pop like that without having the pedal 5% pushed?