hondata traction control

madmazturbo

hondata traction control

Post by madmazturbo »

Hi

I have built a 350bhp rotrex supercharged k20 in a mid engine rear wheel drive 725kg kit car running a kpro management, and have a slight issue with traction in the rain in the dry it holds on fine. I have a quaiffe lsd fitted but no traction control hence these question on how to install it when I buy the hondata traction control.

I have researched what I can online everywhere and everything points to connecting to the existing ABS control on the cars which I have none. I know I will have to buy 4No wheel speed sensors but don't now which ones to go for (Inductive/Active or Hall effect type sensor) that will work with the hondata traction control. I was simply going to use the 4No stud pickup on the rear of hubs and mount the sensors or I could buy something after market to attach somewhere inline for each shaft as a pickup. The problem is I don't know how it has to be wired either as the instructions online show the abs cables to splice into and like I said I have nothing there in the first place. Can anyone explain what to connect and where and whether the sensors would be 3No connections and where I get the 3rd wire from if the hondata has two from the traction control wiring harness. I wiring diagram would be perfect but at this point any ideas in the right direction will me out on what parts to buy in.

Cheers
Colin
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: hondata traction control

Post by Hondata »

Either ABS sensors or hall effect sensors will work. I'd would use whatever is easiest to fit to the vehicle. Someone has used the Race Technology hall effect sensors successfully.

I would not recommend the use of the wheel studs for inputs. The issue is that the resolution is much less (4 or 5 per revolution vs 50 teeth) and the stud heads need to be very accurate in order to get a smooth speed input - the spacing and shape of the bolts would need to be very accurate in order to give a good output signal.

For the rears the easiest thing is OEM style tone rings on the outer CV with a custom bracket. For the fronts you may be able to find a OE part for the hub, if the hub has an OE origin.
Hondata
madmazturbo

Post by madmazturbo »

cheers

do I connect the 2No signal cables from the traction control system direct to the 2 wires for each sensor or is a 3wire sensor needed with perhaps a separate permanent power supply?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I'm not sure what you mean by 2No, but this is the wiring for a hall effect sensor

http://www.hondata.com/help/tractioncon ... wiring.htm

Depending on the sensor you can use a 12V supply, which is much easier to wire in.
Hondata
madmazturbo

Post by madmazturbo »

Am I right in what your saying that If I have no abs system on my car, I need to take a 12v supply to each sensor as per your diagram and use Hall effect sensors and put 1000 ohm resisters between the 12v supply for the sensor and the positive output of the traction control to the sensor.

So I need also 4no 3wire Hall effect sensors (for each wheel using the cv ring gear)
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You could use hall effect sensors or inductive sensors. Whatever is easiest. Current based two wire sensors without ABS would be more difficult.
Still don't know what you mean by 2No and 4No. 2 count? 4 count? 2 wire? 4 wire?
Hondata
madmazturbo

Post by madmazturbo »

Lol, it was meant to be 4 number sensor (4no) 3number wires (3no in short) but you have solved my concerns and have purchased the hondata traction control unit just looking for the sensors now to fit my set up.

Cheers
madmazturbo

Post by madmazturbo »

I have another question, does it matter for the purposes of the traction control to work correctly that that I have 17" wheels on the rear (245 35 17) and 16" wheels at the front (205 45 16)?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You can calibrate the wheel/tire size for each wheel.
Hondata
madmazturbo

Post by madmazturbo »

Great cheers.

Does it matter from an interference point of view if I run a 12v positive dc supply cable taped together with the two signal cables from the traction control unit for each wheel (I was going to twist these two cable together for each wheel sensor and run a permanent lev with it)

Does it matter which end the 1k resistor goes in circuit I.e at the wheel/sensor or near the traction control/ ecu location.

Same thing with the signal negative must the additional earth bond be at the wheel sensor location or near the traction control/ecu location.

Sorry for all the questions as I don't really want to be rewiring it constantly and changing again if I can help it :)
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Both the positive supply and ground should be made close to the TC unit, so you'll need to run three wires to each wheel. I pull up resistor should also be installed close to the TC unit. The ground should be the same as the TC ground.
Hondata
madmazturbo

Post by madmazturbo »

Cheers for the info, really appreciate it

There is a chance the traction control I have ordered from tdi north (England uk) may come with the resisters to go in circuit but just in case I have shown a link below of the resister I think is needed, is this the correct type?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/metal-film-2w ... sistor-d1k
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

That will work. The resistor type, tolerance & current is non critical. A 1/4 watt resistor will work fine.
Hondata
madmazturbo

Post by madmazturbo »

Once again you have been really helpful, cheers
madmazturbo

Post by madmazturbo »

sorry again, I have another question

the racelogic sensors are exceptionally expensive so I have attached a link below to the sensors I think will do the job. Can you review and confirm if this ok in your opinion to fit my setup using the hondata traction control please?

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7018250/

4mm detection range
NPN (but has an option of PNP if preferred but I think NPN is the preferred option)
Normally open (contact area)
10v to 30v dc voltage range
Inductive barrel sensor
IP67 (weather resistance rated)

Thank you