CHURCH AUTOMOTIVE RECOMENDS THE STOCK INTAKE TO A SRI???

Questions / support for the K-Series ECU re-flash
nicolabertone

CHURCH AUTOMOTIVE RECOMENDS THE STOCK INTAKE TO A SRI???

Post by nicolabertone »

I spoke to Shawn Church from CHURCH AUTOMOTIVE & he mentioned it
was an Injen CAI used for the first set of Dyno charts shown on the
HONDATA K20Z3 reflash page.

http://www.hondata.com/reflash_06_civicsi.html

Futher Shawn Church from CHURCH AUTOMOTIV also mentioned that it
was better to leave the intake stock than intalling a SRI which goes
against what HONDATA is advertising and what I was told by HONDATA
over the phone. Are the Dyno charts from CHURCH AUTOMOTIVE?

I think it is important to get the story staight.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The dyno graphs all say 'Church Automotive' because that is where our dyno is located - Church Automotive uses it more than us.

The reflash was designed for an intake - but since the SRI draws hot air into the engine, and is in many cases worse than stock, you should use a cold air intake. However, since some people still want a SRI over a CAI, on the reflash page we are non-specific about what type of intake to use - it is the owner's choice.
Hondata
nicolabertone

Post by nicolabertone »

Unfortunately I am not really satisfied with the reply. And when it comes down to it, it is false advertisement.

Quoted from the Hondata web page.

http://www.hondata.com/reflash_06_civicsi.html

"You must have a minimum of an intake or header.

It "Hondata Reflash" is not designed to work with a stock 2006-2010 Civic Si and will lose power between 4500rpm and 5600 rpm if installed.

The 06 Civic employs a mass air flow sensor that automatically adjusts the air-fuel ratio for increases in air flow from correctly designed intakes and race headers. Intakes for this car are critical. The intake - in particular the size and shape of the piping around the mass air flow sensor is the primary determinant of fueling for this car."

The above mentioned quote mentions nothing of temperature but only the intake geometry for the Reflash to work as designed.

Further what does Hondata mean by race header?

"The VTEC switch point on this reflash is very smooth - much smoother than previous reflashes. With a stock air box and race header the switch point is virtually undetectable. For the reduction in VTEC "kick" and aural stimulation, we apologize, but this is the path to maximum power."

The header mentioned in the first set of graphs is a DC Sports header,
but if it is a race header as shown on the DC SPORTS web site then there is no CAT and thus illeagal.

Facts are facts and the Hondata advertisement is extremely misleading, and thus false.

I will be lucky if I get half the gains advertised, at a cost of close to
1000$ in parts alone.
nicolabertone

Post by nicolabertone »

I have read on the Hondata site that a race header is a header without CAT and it is not street legal, my mistake. However the dyno charts do not mention that a race header was used. And that is what is extremly misleading.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The dyno chart is titled '2006 Civic Si with Race header'. A race header does not have a cat. We specify on every web page that our products are for off road use only. Nothing is misleading about what we have said.

At the time the reflash was made, only race headers were available for the Civic Si. A shorty header (with cat) was not tested with the reflash.
Hondata