FANC (Fan Control) Wiring

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
m_sasso

FANC (Fan Control) Wiring

Post by m_sasso »

Here is a link to an electrical diagram of the radiator fan from the Helms manual on my car, the yellow and black wire, positive side just continues to the fuse block. Could some one please explain how to correctly wire the “Fan Control”? I have read Spunkster write to the fan relay or refere to the Helms manual in more than one posting however no clear explination of how it is correctly done. We know one end of a wire connects to A12 where does the other end of the wire go? Does it connect to the negative side of the fan, mimicking the ECT switch establishing a ground when a set temperature is reached?

Thanks!

http://www.honda-tech.com/picture.php?a ... reid=26995
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It connects exaclty the same way as the thermo switch, which should be a ground.
Turbo-LS

Post by Turbo-LS »

A12 is a ground to control the fan. essentiall you want to run that ground to the fan relay to turn the relay on and off which will supply power to the fan. do not connect the ecu directly to the fan as a ground or will will fry the ecu.
m_sasso

Post by m_sasso »

Turbo-LS wrote:A12 is a ground to control the fan. essentiall you want to run that ground to the fan relay to turn the relay on and off which will supply power to the fan. do not connect the ecu directly to the fan as a ground or will will fry the ecu.
This is not what Spunkster wrote and almost contradicts what he wrote, isn't he not the technical support person with Hondata in this forum?

I do not have a relay on my fan from the factory, did anyone bother to look at the diagram I posted a link too?

Now you are telling me I need to wire a relay into my fan circit, not difficult however do I realy need it, I don't want to see my ECU go up in smoke?

Why is it so difficult to get a direct correct answer here, why no wiring diagrams?

Does any one truly know how to connect to FANC to run the fan?
Last edited by m_sasso on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo-LS

Post by Turbo-LS »

IDK but go to the help menu in the s300 software type in fanc. then click vtec perameters and it will show you there are 6 outputs on the ecu that are wired to a relay turning the relay on and off but the relay gets power from the battery and thats only for the vtec solinoid which doesnt draw 25-30 amps like a good radiator fan does so you do the math brother. im just offering up my help , if you wish to be a snob then good luck with that fried ecu homes

You will find that although most of the time very helpfull, the admins on ANY website dont always have tim to elaborate on things as i have experienced form many different sites and companies and you shouldnt blame them for being breif on explinations but rather take in any other useful info other people have to offer
m_sasso

Post by m_sasso »

Turbo-LS wrote:IDK but go to the help menu in the s300 software type in fanc. then click vtec perameters and it will show you there are 6 outputs on the ecu that are wired to a relay turning the relay on and off but the relay gets power from the battery and thats only for the vtec solinoid which doesnt draw 25-30 amps like a good radiator fan does so you do the math brother. im just offering up my help , if you wish to be a snob then good luck with that fried ecu homes

You will find that although most of the time very helpfull, the admins on ANY website dont always have tim to elaborate on things as i have experienced form many different sites and companies and you shouldnt blame them for being breif on explinations but rather take in any other useful info other people have to offer
Hello Turbo-LS,

Not trying to be a snob, all I would like is a clear, concise and correct answer. I don't believe this is too much to request as a paid customer on a manufactures support forum.

Spunkster wrote" It connects exactly the same way as the thermo switch, which should be a ground"

Now does this say anything about a relay, to me it says replace the thermo switch with a connection to the ECU A12 and ground through the ECU which, like you said does not sound like a very sound plan. Although my fan could not draw 25 - 30 amps because it is wired with a 15 amp fuse from the factory.

You wrote: "very helpful, the admins on ANY website dont always have tim to elaborate on things " "you shouldnt blame them for being breif on explinations"

I am not asking for elaboration just a correct answer! Telling a customer to wire a fan through the ECU is not “very helpful”, it's down right negligent if it will damage ECU's. Why Hondata can not find the time to provide a clear answer, let alone provide one that will not damage ECU's creates a large amount of animosity in me as a customer.

What’s simpler than a wiring diagram? Brief is OK as long as it is correct and not some mystery to be sorted out by decoding riddles, negligence is simply intolerable.

Turbo-LS thanks, I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my question, I don't have much confidence Hondata or Spunkster would be paying for a replacement ECU post smoke.

Again this is not the first or second post regarding wiring of the FANC, if support staff took the time to answer the question clearly, post wiring diagrams or include technical directions in the SManger help file there wouldn’t need to be repeat questions from customers in support forums to answer for a busy administrator.
locash

Post by locash »

What car model is that diagram from? It looks incorrect, as the relay is not shown.
Locash Racing, LLC
Hondata Sales and Tuning
Dynapack 4000 2wd Dyno
In-Shop CNC Machining and Product Manufacturing
fly_n

Post by fly_n »

the reality of the situation is,if u cant work out what to do in this simple case,maybe u should ask someone with more wiring experience for some guidance.
the admins arent here to teach elec 101.

for your own piece of mind & the very small cost of a 20 or 30A relay,just leave the ect switch in place & wired as is(for backup) & have A12 activate the coil of the relay to switch a ground connection tapped into the ECT>>>>FAN wire.

A12<------------> RELAY COIL <---------------->12V

GROUND<------------->RELAY CONTACTS<---------------->TAPPED INTO WIRE BETWEEN ECT SWITCH & FAN

if u want the fan to come on at higher temp(?????),obviously u'll have to remove ECT switch from circuit.
Turbo-LS

Post by Turbo-LS »

Well i do agree on the wiring diagram cause for people that arent sure the help file in the s300 software for FANC tells your nothgni more than FANC is fanc ontrol LOL. it shoudl tell you how to hook it up and how to set the perameters etc.. but i figured it out for my self browsing the software
m_sasso

Post by m_sasso »

locash wrote:What car model is that diagram from? It looks incorrect, as the relay is not shown.
Helms 93 Integra Manual, Wiring Diagrams, Page 2, Radiator Condensor Fan Controls, Canadian Model without AC
m_sasso

Post by m_sasso »

fly_n wrote:the reality of the situation is,if u cant work out what to do in this simple case,maybe u should ask someone with more wiring experience for some guidance.

Helloooo....... Mr. Electrical Engineer,

What do you think I posted here for? Correct information is always useful.

Thanks,
Martian

Post by Martian »

just put your ground wire on a solid ground and be done with it. the fan will be on any time your ignition is. This is obviosly above your relm of ability if you can't figure this out.

A relay is easy enough to wire in and ground with the ECU, there is no hidden trick. Hondata is not going to come up with wire diagrams for everything when just about everything wires up the exact same way.
thank you, thank you, I'm here all week
locash

Post by locash »

The posts are all here because most people can't seem to understand that FANC is a negative trigger out of the ecu, and that most OBD1 cars already have this wired to the Radiator Fan Relay, so nothing is required. If your car does not have it wired, it is time to learn how to wire a relay, not harass Hondata and expect them to hold your hand through the whole process.

They were nice enough to provide access to this output from the software, and it works fine for me.

All of my manuals are for American vehicles, so at this point, get a simple bosch universal relay and spend a few minutes wiring it up. A quick google search of "bosch relay wiring diagram" came up with this diagram..

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/e ... /relay.htm

Following the bottom diagram, use the FANC output to pin 85, and pin 87 to the ground side of your fan, and you should be good.
Locash Racing, LLC
Hondata Sales and Tuning
Dynapack 4000 2wd Dyno
In-Shop CNC Machining and Product Manufacturing
m_sasso

Post by m_sasso »

Hello Locash and company,

Why is it that all you smart people presume I have no idea how to wire a relay? Wrong assumption, if the FANC connection requires a relay to operate correctly not a problem. How to wire a relay is not the problem however being provided instructions saying I don’t need one is and I do have a problem with being directed with conflicting information.

Once again because you don’t seem to get it I was provided this instruction by Spunkster form Hondata, “It connects exaclty the same way as the thermo switch, which should be a ground.” do you read any mention of a relay in this quote? Can I not read?

Asking for correct connection information is not harassing Hondata or expect them to hold your hand through the whole process.

You are going to try and tell me you don’t own a Helms manual for 92-93 Integras? All Helms manuals for the 92-93 Integra contain wiring diagrams for Canadian models. Also the US 92-93 models with out A/C acording to the Helms manual do not have a relay in the fan circuit either.
Last edited by m_sasso on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.