dip in power

Questions / support for the K-Series ECU re-flash
Curtish

dip in power

Post by Curtish »

When the VTEC kicks in around 5000rpms it feels like i lose a bit of power until 6000rpm when I get a huge surge of power. Is this normal? My only other mod is a SRI, my car is a 2004 RSX Type S.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Without a dyno plot it is really hard to determine what is actually happening.
Curtish

Post by Curtish »

I was just wondering if this was common with my SRI/stock exhaust setup or something. I'm wondering if switching to a CAI or Race Header/cat back would get rid of the dip? I wasn't planning to upgrade the car any further since it is my daily driver, so I didn't want to spend the big bucks on the KPro (since I live in Canada and KPro is close to $2000).

I've read on ClubRSX that some people have experienced a power "dip" when using the Icebox SRI, which i am not using. I was wondering if maybe all SRIs have the power dip issue?

It is winter right now so i don't think there are any heat soak issues with the SRI vs the CAI, so I wouldn't expect there to be a difference in airflow this time of year.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It is impossible to guess what might be better or worse without something showing what it is actually doing currently.
Curtish

Post by Curtish »

Ok. I just thought maybe someone else with a AEM V2, stock exhaust, and Reflash may have experienced a similar issue. Or maybe "all SRI intakes have this issue" or something like that. The car is almost completely stock, so theoretically it should be an ideal candidate for the reflash. It is always worth checking for FREE advice from the experts before spending hundreds of dollars on dyno time for an almost stock vehicle.

A quote from a Hondata K-Pro Seminar March 13, 2004, Torrance, CA was:

"The AEM CAI has a resonance point of 5200, the short ram AEM V2’s is at about 5900."

and I was wondering if that has something to do with it. I don't quite understand how resonance point affects things.
Curtish

Post by Curtish »

FYI, I have resolved this issue with a different ECU, thanks. So the answer to my original question is "no it is not normal".