Program eeprom from romeditor?

Hondata model coverage & ECU application questions.
justin

Program eeprom from romeditor?

Post by justin »

I just have a question regarding this new feature in the s200:
"Under Windows NT, 2000 and XP it is now possible to burn the Atmel
29C256 EEPROM from within ROM Editor.? Select 'Burn EPROM' from the
file menu. A very convenient feature which will save you lots of time."

This still requires the pocket programmer to actually burn the chip right? I mean you cannot burn the chip while it's in the ecu with romeditor, is that correct? What software "burned" the chip before the emulator? Sorry for my lack of Hondata knowledge, just trying to straighten some things out in my head :)

Justin
Carchitect

Post by Carchitect »

The pocket programmer is made by Xtronics. Until the new software V3.0 you had to save the file, and switch programs to the pocket programmer's software (DOS based) and write the chip. You could still emmulate (run the car via a laptop) but couldn't write the chip in ROM editor until now.

There are three basic kinds of chips 27C256 which is a one time burn only chip. Also called PROM (Programmable Read Only Memory). The second is also called a 27C256 but will have a small window to erase the chip this is called a EPROM (Erasable PROM ). This kind of chip needs to use a UV light of the correct frequency and a shielded box and a lot of time to erase the chip. The Third is a 29C256 which is a EEPROM (Electrically Erasable PROM). These can be burned over and over.

The First chip and the last are available thru ATMEL. Which is a quality silicone chip supplier. They hold very high quality standards. The PROM is about 5 bucks each. The EPROM, which I'm not so sure if its available thru ATMEL is about the same. The EEPROM is about 25 bucks but doesn't require any down time to erase it in a seperate enclosure. Its well worth the money since tuning in the future becomes easier.

The 27C256 (both the PROM and the EPROM) use 12 volts to write the chip. The 29C256 uses 5 volts to write the chip.

I don't suggest to use the EPROM due to its light threshold being so critical. The EEPROM is a better chip by far.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want
08 IS350 Sport Package, Levinson, Nav, Radar cruise.
94 JZA80 6speed undergoing major weight reduction AKA 911 GT2 killer.
90 DA9 B18C5 retired auto-Xer
justin

Post by justin »

Thanks for the info. That is very helpful!

Justin