S300V3 / P28 ECU issues

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
kraquepype

Re: S300V3 / P28 ECU issues

Post by kraquepype »

I went through my harness a bit, cleaned things up and returned it to a stock single-wire O2; The only thing different is the ELD/D10 input is still used for the wideband. I had been using a monotech subharness, but since I only used the VTEC and O2 wiring, I ditched it and ran a new VTEC wire to clean things up.

I've observed that with the single wire sensor, on load the voltage eventually approaches the expected values. It starts around 2V, and goes down to around .5; I still don't understand why it starts at 2v, but It eventually gets to the right voltage and the sensor by itself looks to read correctly under load as well. It also no longer drops voltage when I measure the O2 at the ECU.

With closed loop enabled, up to temp and at load, the "Closed loop" monitoring parameter never switched to On, but I do see some trim adjustments while datalogging so it looks to work. Does that parameter/value only change when closed loop is actively making trim changes?

Anyway I think that is done.

The bigger issue is that I still encounter spikes in RPM and other values which trigger the rev limiter. I had the car idling while testing things and noticed it; I've attached more datalogs. Voltage drops, RPM and MAP skyrocket and this occurs randomly and for random amounts of time.

This happened on both ECUs, so I highly suspect of the S300 module at this point. Because of the recorded voltage drop, I want to see if there is an actual voltage drop occurring at the ECU so I am probing for voltage and will try to catch it again at next cold/warm start, as it only seems to occur after sitting for a bit. I restarted the car a few times and logged and did not encounter it again.

If I can catch it and not see any voltage drop at the ECU externally (multimeter) I seriously think there is something wrong with my S300 module.

Thanks
wtf_6.s3d
(605.67 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
wtf_7.s3d
(944.79 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

Also, heres a screenshot of the log. In case it helps anyone who doesn't want to load up my datalogs.

Something important to note, is that this occurred at idle with no shaking, movement, the car was stationary (jackstands). I tried again to replicate it by shaking the ECU and engine harness, but that didn't trigger it.

Having a ghost rev limiter is really detrimental, and I could probably work around this by disabling the rev-limiter entirely but I really don't want to do that.
wtf.png
wtf.png (18.32 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

Ok I did another cold start, captured it. No time during the data log did ECU voltage drop, as measured at A23/A25, but there were multiple times where rpm/map/tps signals went bananas.
wtf_8.s3d
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 66 times
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

Also: When the spikes occur while datalogging, in Smanager an error popup shows up, over the "Error Codes" tab/button, saying there are 13 errors (the number changes, last time it was 13)

When I go to the errors, no errors show, or they show for a split second, only while the nutty values are showing in the log. Is there a way to show the logged errors or any information about them?

Sorry for the number of posts, I'd have added this to my last one but edits are only allowed for a short time.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Who socketed this ECU?

Post pictures of the bottom of the ECU showing the soldering points for the s300.
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

Does that really matter here? This same thing happens across 2 ECUs.

HAMotorsports socketed the first one, and it worked without issues up until this stuff started. I got the 2nd ECU from another seller and it was pre-socketed.

Suspecting issues w/ the socket etc, I reflowed the header pins and latch chip on the original ECU, it did not help.

Please tell me how I can get the S300 looked at and repaired / replaced.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What is the serial umber that is on the s300 board inside the ECU?

Can you please post pictures showing the soldering?
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

Serial # is 42965

Here are pics of the soldering on the 1st ECU. It looks a little blobby because I reflowed it, I did this as part of my troubleshooting before swapping to a new ECU. It didn't help, but didn't change anything for the worse either.
IMG_20220427_115138358.jpg
IMG_20220427_115138358.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 1077 times
IMG_20220427_115126886.jpg
IMG_20220427_115126886.jpg (975.48 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Send and email to support <at> hondata.com with the following and I will issue an RMA and give you further
instructions:

Name:
Address:
Phone:
Email:
Serial#:
Description of problem:

Include a link to this thread
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

Thanks for all your help, the ECU/S300 is shipped off for the RMA. Hopefully the sensor issues can be identified.
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

I received my ECU from the Hondata RMA, reinstalled it and have been driving the car. Still having the issue.

One thing I tried was to restore my ELD resistors and move my wideband input to D12 since that is unused. That did not help, it's a cleaner install now but has not improved my situation.

The ECU will start and run fine, but after some time the datalog will log some random spikes of bogus RPM/MAP values and a low voltage reading.

Going back and forth via email about details on what to do, I was told that the issue lies with my car. I am having a hard time believing this because there was little detail provided on the testing that led to that conclusion.

But, whining aside, here we are. My next step is to replace the OBD adapter harness (even though it worked before, and does not trigger the issue no matter how much I shake/move/tap on it), and maybe beg someone in the Honda community to let me borrow an S300 module to test to confirm for sure that the issue lies with the car.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I would recommend that you try the ECU on a known working vehicle.
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

I don't have another vehicle to try it on, and where I am, OBD1 Hondas that would use the S300 don't grow on trees.

And besides, that was done when I sent it in! Which is why I'm miffed that there is so little detail as to the testing that was performed when I sent my unit it. For all I know, it was installed in a vehicle, started and idled for 5 minutes and thats it. I have nothing that can prove to me otherwise.

I appreciate your responses and the help so far, but overall I am disappointed with the support processes here.

This may sound like a minor inconvenience, but the problem I'm experiencing could have serious consequences. I don't know when my car is going to fall flat on its face when starting out.
kraquepype

Post by kraquepype »

I'm still dealing with this. When I notice it happening while driving, I turn the car off and back on quickly and it goes away.

I don't see how my car can be causing this if it is this sporadic and it clears up by power cycling. Everything operates normally afterwards.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Please use the original RMA# you were given and fill out the RMA form and send it along with the ECU and s300.