random knocking issues

Calibrations for S-Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)
wayne5407

random knocking issues

Post by wayne5407 »

So I drive a 96 gsr that's basically stock besides skunk2: 70 mm throttle body, pro-series IM, cold air intake, and exhaust. I took a 95 stock gsr basemap from calibrations and I made a few adjustments and made the tables look the way I thought they should. surprisingly I wasn't too far off, I was on the rich side with everything. its starting to get cold here in iowa and when I start my car, sometimes it reads full rich with my ignition around 40 degrees. anyway I drive until my ECT is around 190 and then I start doing pulls. most of the time it takes about two hours of driving around town and then my engine will start knocking. (typically have around 4 degrees retard at most) yes I have a rattle in my exhaust and my car has subs, that doesn't seem to effect the knocking when it occurs, I can switch to a 95 basemap tune and it will not knock at all even though 30 seconds prior it was non stop. when it starts to knock like this it seems as if nothing will change it or make it go away, when im at idle the voltage will read .01 constantly until I hit the gas. I can run it for hours and then it will do this and then wont quit. my fuel tables are all flat for the most part, im not running lean, and I didn't advance the graph much from the stock tune.. I cant understand why it will do this randomly even though for hours it was fine, its been on going since ive created the tune, I haven't messed with anything other then the fuel and ignition tables and launch control because I don't understand any compensation charts. ive tried switching to 91-93 octane instead of buying the cheap stuff like always. also I noticed when I was driving for a few hours one day I had a constant knock going up a hill, but when i sped up the knock actually went away when i was doing around 80. i don't want to change the ignition if i don't have to because it pulls a lot harder then it did with the stock ecu, i just cant understand why it would knock hours later instead of right way when i hit that portion of the graph.. can anyone please give me some insight as to what im doing wrong?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: random knocking issues

Post by Spunkster »

Without the calibration and datalogs showing the issue it is impossible to speculate.
wayne5407

Post by wayne5407 »

How do I upload those things? I do have them saved
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Use the attachments tab when posting.
wayne5407

Post by wayne5407 »

here is a tune and a data log. recently added timing on a different tune but once it starts knocking I get a .1 kv even when im off the throttle. yes my exhaust rattles but it is constant. ill upload the other tune that seems to be working better that i added timing to but when this happened i hardly run lean, and when im knocking its always rich. also with this other tune that i added timing in the areas it was knocking it was better but same thing once it knocked it was constant, literally rolled to a light shut the car off and turned it back on before i stopped rolling and all knocking went away and hasn't knocked at all later that night. i think the reason my timing got lowered than stock was because i had it on ignition while i was in the fuel change graph so i didn't know i was pulling timing instead of fuel so this other map im going to up load will be where i added timing in some areas. but over all i made this tune 100% myself using the smoothing option and a few base points from a stock gsr tune. also i don't notice any power loss when the knocking occurs. only had one incident where i changed back to a base tune and it knocked, but switching to a basetune usually will not knock at all, even though whatever prior tune was 30 seconds earlier. not sure if they are real knocks, i tried tapping my bloc with a wrench and my manifold and no knock registered on the data log. just wondering if anyone has some insight here, i bought the p72 A01 specifically so i had use of my knock sensors as im just tuning by feel
Attachments
RACECAR TUNE.skl
(50.3 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
wayne5407

Post by wayne5407 »

this is the tune that derived from the one previously posted with minor advancement changes to ignition
Attachments
finally!! racecar.skl
(50.21 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You have not posted any datalogs showing the issue.
wayne5407

Post by wayne5407 »

sorry I tried upload tune and file at once here is the datalog
Attachments
wtf.skl
(50.17 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

These are calibrations and not datalogs showing the issue.