Datalog feedback

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
ayau

Datalog feedback

Post by ayau »

Looking for some feedback on my 3rd gear WOT datalog. Specifically, I'm more concerned that the engine looks healthy before I try the E25 calibration.

Fuel Type: 93 Shell with 10% ethanol
Calibration: Hondata 93 standard
Modifications: 100% stock
Ambient temps about 88F

Few questions:
I don't see any knock. Just wanted to confirm that this is true

What are the different 'knock retard' readings? Are there multiple knock sensors in the engine? If there's knock, does it show the degree ignition was retarded?

Fuel pump looks good and peaks at 91%. This looks good.

What's a good IAT before I should be concerned?
Attachments
3gwot.06.30.20.fpdl
(15.1 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Datalog feedback

Post by Hondata »

Looks good. Did you make the datalog with the laptop or from the FlashPro by pressing the button?
Hondata
ayau

Post by ayau »

Hondata wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:15 am Looks good. Did you make the datalog with the laptop or from the FlashPro by pressing the button?
I was tethered with the laptop and just logged with the laptop. Is there a difference if I datalog with the Flashpro by pressing the button?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I did not see the ABS speeds, but normally would expect to see them.
Hondata
ayau

Post by ayau »

I have filled up with E25 (93/E85 mix) and loaded the Hondata E25 calibration. 100% factory. Did 2 3rd gear WOT pulls.

Looks like fuel pump is definitely being asked for more fuel compared to the 93 calibration. I see 94-95% duty cycle. Car doesn't need more air at this point, so an intercooler wouldn't help as that would just demand more fuel, correct?

I don't see any knock for both logs. Would the next logical step be to add more timing? Any suggestion on how much timing to add?
Attachments
e25 log 2.fpdl
(39.54 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
e25 log 1.fpdl
(38.34 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Fuel trims are very good. Fuel pump is at maximum. No knock.

The calibration already has timing tuned for E25.
Hondata
ayau

Post by ayau »

Looking at the log again, it looks like I'm hitting boost of 23 psi. Is this within normal range? I haven't modified anything on the base map. I know the ECU automatically calculates the necessary boost targets but just wanted to confirm I didn't have some boost limitation anywhere.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The air charge limit table is limiting boost. You can't really change this because your fuel pump is already close to maximum.
Hondata
ayau

Post by ayau »

Hondata wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:18 am The air charge limit table is limiting boost. You can't really change this because your fuel pump is already close to maximum.
That's what I was assuming. Thanks for confirming. From 4k to redline, fuel pump % is in the 75-85% range, would it make sense to increase the charge limit table restriction in those ranges, or is the % not linear in terms of trying to read the max limitation of the factory fuel pump?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The datalog I looked at had the fuel pump at 90% @ 4000 rpm and 80% at redline. You can try increasing the air charge limit if you'd like.
Hondata
ayau

Post by ayau »

Looks like it's probably not a good idea to increase air charge from default E25 map. Just did a 4th gear pull and fuel pump was at 100% from 3-3.5k RPM (attached log). I believe ambient was at about 70F.

I'll reduce air charge by 5% in that RPM range and re-test. Is there an IAT air charge compensation table to change instead? It seems like at about 80F, fuel pump % looks decent. Anything below 70F, then fuel pump has issues.

Also, is doing a 3rd gear or 4th gear pull better for more accurate data logging? Not sure if there's a different fuel demand based on gear.
Attachments
e25 4th gear maxed fuel pump.fpdl
(61.97 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You need to do any pulls in a gear where you don't get wheelspin. So I always use 4th gear, but the speeds do get high enough that you need an on ramp to a freeway or similar.

I've never profiled the lobe on the fuel pump but the difference between 90% duty and 100% duty is only 2-3% delivery. So 90% is a good maximum. When I suggested to increase the air charge limit I meant only at the top end. Peak torque is always going to put a lot of demand on the fuel pump plus it probably is not bad to limit peak torque if you are on a stock clutch.
Hondata
ayau

Post by ayau »

Yeah that makes sense. I’ll start reducing the air charge limit in the peak torque range and continue to monitor fuel pump.

I increased the air charge limit in the upper RPM range but didn’t really see a difference in boost numbers. Hard to know if the car actually made power or not without a dyno. Is it possible increasing the air charge limits in the upper RPMs actually doesn’t yield more power?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Probably even with more boost you're not going to see any gains on the top anyhow.
Hondata
ayau

Post by ayau »

Reduced the air charge limit of the default E25 calibration by about 9-10% at the peak torque range. Noticed there's a hump for the fuel pump duty % at about 4300RPM. Not sure if that's normal or not or something mechanical.
Attachments
E25 Reduced ACL.PNG
E25 Reduced ACL.PNG (86.31 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
E25 Default ACL.PNG
E25 Default ACL.PNG (88.26 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
4th gear reduced acl log.fpdl
(22.65 KiB) Downloaded 127 times