turbo spooling suddenly sounds super loud, a leak? but boost reads ok.....

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
ptyfk8

turbo spooling suddenly sounds super loud, a leak? but boost reads ok.....

Post by ptyfk8 »

my current setup: k&N dropinn, full-race radiator, Turbo Blanket, heat wrapped DP and intake, and hks oil cooler. Flash pro tune based on the americas FK8 (i live in Panama) with the 93octane as base + custom tune.

Strangely yesterday it send a P0234: Engine Overboost Condition. have been with this tune for the past 3 month,e 3 tracks days and never got this code before. mainly only de P0136 sometimes, but not this one. The only problem i have been experiencing is the fuel pump duty issue.

Yesterday i also received my PRL IC and was planning on installing on monday. additionally we were planing on take the car to the dyno and let the tuner work on a new tune to fix the pump duty problem and see if we could squeeze some additional hp´s from the new IC.

Im preparation for that i decided to go out early this morning and do a datalog mainly to capture the pump duty issue, so i cleared the overboost code and leave.

im on the highway and after a few pulls (around minute 10) suddenly the turbo spooling started sounding very very loud when when i step on it, especially in 3, 4 and 5th gear. I thought i might be a leak, but boost levels are ok. this afternoon when the car was cold again, i tried to inspect visually and could not see anything wrong. Then i when out a few minutes ago and tried some pulls and spooling very loud still.

attaching datalog.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

JP
Attachments
datalog0007.fpdl
(3.44 MiB) Downloaded 144 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: turbo spooling suddenly sounds super loud, a leak? but boost reads ok.....

Post by Hondata »

You have a leak and the turbo is over speeding. The wastegate goes from 2.5mm to under 1mm later in the datalog.

Don't boost until you fix this as turbo overspeed is very bad.

I would also fix the P0136 error since that is easy to fix.
Hondata
ptyfk8

Post by ptyfk8 »

Hondata wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:47 am You have a leak and the turbo is over speeding. The wastegate goes from 2.5mm to under 1mm later in the datalog.

Don't boost until you fix this as turbo overspeed is very bad.

I would also fix the P0136 error since that is easy to fix.
thanks a lot......

so the wastegate is faulty and is leaking boost? or there is a leak somewhere else and you know because the wastegate is going from 2.5 to 1mm?

sorry for asking but im not an expert.

JP
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The leak is most likely somewhere else and you will need to find that leak before you continue to make boost as it will damage the turbo.