Cpr issues

Hondata CPR (Coil Pack Retrofit) support
crucian

Re: Cpr issues

Post by crucian »

Both my ECU boards have 02D01720-1500 stamped on them.
freezingmoon

Post by freezingmoon »

i didnt get to my car today, as i stated i live in nyc and park my car in a garage a mile from home, id like to add tho that i have tried 3 different ecu's and it still did the same thing...
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I need to know what the codes were on those three ECUs.
crucian

Post by crucian »

Spunkster, do you think that there could be a glich in the sync circuit? There are also others complaining about misfires.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3021590&page=7
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I highly doubt it.
CGF20BOOSTED

Post by CGF20BOOSTED »

I had the cpr installed on my setup. I would get a random "hick up"/misfire at idle or light load. I never experienced it under full load. I had installed the cpr set per instructions/diagram. Everything was installed per hondata recommendations (ex/ OE dizzy, Honda coils (denso), ground location, etc, etc. The hick up was so random. I tried to duplicated the symptom but I couldn't find a specific condition to cause the hick up. Most times wouldn't happen at all. Sometimes it would be annoying as hell. I had lab scoped various inputs and outputs and did not see any issues with the inputs to the cpr box. Waveforms looked good from the dizzy. Sync wave form was good too. I then scoped the outputs to the coils from the cpr. The first two outputs to the coils I tested were great. Then the next two cylinders tested would start to misfire when I tapped into the circuit with the lab scope (weird). The wave form looked good, but the misfire was awkward. Unfortunately I didn't diagnose any further and switched back to stock ignition. Perhaps some day I'll finish diagnosing the issue but lost interest after reading all the posts about the cpr issues. I just got fed up with the hick up. So now the cpr setup stays in my tool box. I can't say its the cpr causing the hick ups, but there are a few possibilities I would like to explore in the distant future. For example, perhaps there is electromagnetic interference with the output to the coils (maybe shielding the coil output wires). Or perhaps the coils are getting too hot, but that doesn't seem likely since I haven't experienced the hick up at full load. I wanted to swap coils to see if the misfire changed with coils or stayed with the circuit specifically (when tested with lab scope). Perhaps I had two bad coils from Honda. The engine ran great, just a random hick up. Any how, I just wanted to share my experience with the cpr. I would say it was cool, but the hick up was annoying. :-(
crucian

Post by crucian »

I knew I wasn't going crazy! Your problem is identical to mine and the other poster. In my case I did change the coils and I got the same hiccup issue. If you read in my earlier posts, I tried and change just about everything. The only thing that made it drive normal was re-installing the stock ignition. Don't get me wrong, the CPR performs at WOT exceptionally. It's just that damn random misfire at part throttle is what kills me!
freezingmoon

Post by freezingmoon »

i still have the same issue, has anyone found a resolve to this other than going back to a factory ignition?
crucian

Post by crucian »

No. Still nothing here.
CGF20BOOSTED

Post by CGF20BOOSTED »

Now that I have some experience with injector dead times, I ponder if the "hick-up" is related to incorrect injector dead times? I do not have the CPR installed anymore. I suspect that the dead times were incorrect on my previous tune (from my previous tuner) and could have been the cause of the hick-up. Just some "food for thought". I may retry CPR later. I'll post with results if I decide to retry.
crucian

Post by crucian »

I highly doubt that it has to do with the dead times. But if that fixes you're problem, let us know.
CGF20BOOSTED

Post by CGF20BOOSTED »

Considering dead times will likely affect idle and part throttle more than full load, I wouldn't rule it out until proven otherwise.
Fkn SingleCam

Post by Fkn SingleCam »

I'm glad I found this post. I thought I was the only one. Very annoying hiccup/stutter. Tends to happen around 2.5k - 3k and sometimes at idle.
crucian

Post by crucian »

CGF20BOOSTED wrote:Considering dead times will likely affect idle and part throttle more than full load, I wouldn't rule it out until proven otherwise.
The reason I said that I do not think it has to do with injector dead time is that, when I cruise, voltage doesn't change. It stays constant. I could understand if the voltage was fluctuating causing dead times to fluctuate, but this is not the case. Like I stated in earlier posts, the only thing that fixed my problem was putting the distributor back to stock and eliminating the CPR. I wish hondata would look more into the problem. But it seems as if they are ignoring us that have the problem.
CGF20BOOSTED

Post by CGF20BOOSTED »

One way to verify dead times is to view waveform with a lab scope. When I scoped my CPR, it misfired when I connected the scope from the output to two coils. 2 of them wouldn't misfire and the other two would. I would suspect that the CPR was faulty from hooking up a lab scope. I could send in the CPR and spunkster would connect it to his car and say it is fine just like the rest.... anyone interested in a CPR kit? Lol