Knock knock knock...

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the FD2 Japanese Civic Type R
romeochris

Knock knock knock...

Post by romeochris »

Dear Hondata,
Just bought a FP last week and reflashed on my JDM FD2R with the Hondata Type R reflash calibration. I had a good run on Sunday morning, approx. 43mins run datalogged and recorded 23times knock counts (#1=3, #2=13, #3=6, #4=1) :( , also seems the #2 has many more knocks than others. I did try to datalog before the reflash, it has recorded ZERO knock count, how come it has so big difference? Is that the built-in Hondata Type R reflash calibration cannot fit my STOCK FD2R? Should I keep using this calibration and safe still? Thank you!
engjoo

Re: Knock knock knock...

Post by engjoo »

romeochris wrote:Dear Hondata,
Just bought a FP last week and reflashed on my JDM FD2R with the Hondata Type R reflash calibration. I had a good run on Sunday morning, approx. 43mins run datalogged and recorded 23times knock counts (#1=3, #2=13, #3=6, #4=1) :( , also seems the #2 has many more knocks than others. I did try to datalog before the reflash, it has recorded ZERO knock count, how come it has so big difference? Is that the built-in Hondata Type R reflash calibration cannot fit my STOCK FD2R? Should I keep using this calibration and safe still? Thank you!
Same problem I am facing. Not even this cal knocks but calibrations that have been tuned by good tuners also knocks alot. If you keep driving long enough, you will also see (from the logs) that it will retard over time and you have noticeable loss in the low end.

Hondata has not explained why this is happening. My guess is some compensatation is not working properly. I would be more than happy to stand corrected if Hondata can explain why I am wrong.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

RRC-2-Reflash has advanced timing over stock. 23 knock counts over 43 minutes is not excessive. I suggest you start to identify the areas where you're getting the knock, and reduce the ignition timing by small increments until you tune the knock out.
Hondata
engjoo

Post by engjoo »

Hondata wrote:RRC-2-Reflash has advanced timing over stock. 23 knock counts over 43 minutes is not excessive. I suggest you start to identify the areas where you're getting the knock, and reduce the ignition timing by small increments until you tune the knock out.
How would you explain that the stock equivalent calibration is also knocking as much ?
romeochris

Post by romeochris »

Hondata wrote:RRC-2-Reflash has advanced timing over stock. 23 knock counts over 43 minutes is not excessive. I suggest you start to identify the areas where you're getting the knock, and reduce the ignition timing by small increments until you tune the knock out.
Dear Hondata,
I had noticed the knock count #2 has the most of the knocks recorded, usually doubled or triple times to the others. We could I do now? Any suggestions? Thank you!
romeochris

Post by romeochris »

romeochris wrote:
Dear Hondata,
I had noticed the knock count #2 has the most of the knocks recorded, usually doubled or triple times to the others. We could I do now? Any suggestions? Thank you

Does anyone knew the answer I was asking, please? Thanyou.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

It can be tricky because the knock sensor is closer to #2 than the other cylinders; however #2 cylinder typically gets slightly better cylinder filling than the other cylinders.

I would suggest to retard the timing by 1 or 2 degrees.
Hondata
romeochris

Post by romeochris »

Thank you~ :D
engjoo

Re:

Post by engjoo »

Hondata wrote:It can be tricky because the knock sensor is closer to #2 than the other cylinders; however #2 cylinder typically gets slightly better cylinder filling than the other cylinders.

How is it tricky? Is it possible to eliminate the knocks and loss of power?
Alexx

Re: Knock knock knock...

Post by Alexx »

engjoo wrote:
Hondata wrote:It can be tricky because the knock sensor is closer to #2 than the other cylinders; however #2 cylinder typically gets slightly better cylinder filling than the other cylinders.

How is it tricky? Is it possible to eliminate the knocks and loss of power?

Yes it is possible.