No start issue

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
blindpenguin

No start issue

Post by blindpenguin »

I just installed a Kraftwerks Supercharger kit in my Civic SI. When I reflashed the car with a starting map I got from VitViper, it would not start. I read the post he had made about this being a common issue and being caused by the software not detecting the ECU.

So I plugged my laptop into the car and sure enough, the ECU stated "not detected". So I followed the procedure he outlined and did the following:

-disconnected negative battery cable
-reflashed car back to stock, key off, then back on
-reflashed my new basemap from Vit, key off.

On the second round of this, the car fired right up and the ECU stated normal and was detected again. Car ran and drove perfect, nothing out of the ordinary except for traction control being disabled, but I assume that was something put into the base tune from Vit. So after a short drive I parked the car turned it off, and then restarted it to make certain it was okay. Fired right up again.

This morning I went out to the car to do my first datalog for tuning and it wouldn't start again. After connecting the laptop I saw the ecu is right back to being "not detected". Any input on this would be great as I'm at a loss as to how sitting overnight is causing the car to revert back to the problem I thought I had fixed?

*update*
So the car will still not start, but the ECU reads "normal" now after repeating the steps listed above trying to get it to start again. Also, the service minder came on after the last reflash, don't know if that means anything. I've repeated the above process several times and still nothing. I also tried starting the car on a different map to the same results.

One odd thing I did notice when uploading from my laptop is when I click upload and the progress bar pops up, the first 1/8 or so of that bar fills very fast, then it pauses and I see a "(not responding)" pop up on the progress bar. This only lasts about 2-3 seconds and then the message goes away and it keeps uploading just at a slower rate. Then it finishes and tells me the upload was successful. That brief "not responding" message doesn't seem to pop up when the car is getting flashed back to stock though. On a side note, I never once had an issue with flashing the car prior to upgrading my FPM software. I had been using the same version I got when I bought it in 2014 prior to this.

Sorry to be so long winded with all of this, I just want to provide as many details as possible hoping someone might know how to fix this. Last round of reflashes FPM said the battery was getting low, so I'm taking a break and putting it on a trickle charger.
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: No start issue

Post by Hondata »

What version of software are you using? What type of calibration is it (race or normal)?
Hondata
blindpenguin

Post by blindpenguin »

I am using software version 2.3.6.0

The calibration type is a custom map from Vit. It's a basic starting map, and the car has run on it. It doesn't say anything about race or normal in the information for it that i can see.

I've gotten the car started normally on two occassions so far. Both times i've had to have my mechanic clear the ecu with a obd2 scan tool and then reflash. After that, the car starts normal for one day, then after sitting overnight, will not start again no matter how many times i remove the negative cable and reflash. I'm lost.
blindpenguin

Post by blindpenguin »

Of interest....my mechanic also said his scan tool had issues connecting with the ecu. But when i hook up the laptop and flashpro, the program has green checks next to everything and is telling me the ecu is in normal mode.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Have you tried datalogging when this happens to see what is showing or if there are any error codes?

Have you tried contacting VitViper about this calibration he sent you?
blindpenguin

Post by blindpenguin »

I just sent him an email earlier today bringing him up to speed, just waiting to hear back. He was aware of the issue, but we thought i had it solved after i had gotten it running this last time. On the datalog i did when it was running, he said everything looked great.
blindpenguin

Post by blindpenguin »

I'll do a datalog of the no start here in a minute and send it to him also.
blindpenguin

Post by blindpenguin »

So when i go to datalog the no start, the green check box for "ecu" and "live" turn to a red "x" as i am holding the key in the start position. Engine just sits there and cranks.

I looked at the datalog, but it doesn't seem to really have recorded anything? I see the throttle plate value fluctuate by 1%, and the IAT read a degree different, but i think that was it.

I emailed it to Vit and he replied that the log was empty and it is stuck in recovery mode. When i upload tunes, it says "successful" though.
blindpenguin

Post by blindpenguin »

So another update. Here is all the relevent information regarding the problem as it sits today.

FP Serial: FP-SI-16339
FP Manager Ver: V2.3.6
Datalog: FP records nothing of no-start
Car: 2011 Civic Si (north america)
ECU type: OEM Honda ecu
Mods: Kraftwerks Kit, Hondata 4 Bar Map, NGK 2669 plugs, Deatschwerks DW65C fuel pump.

-Car cranks, but no start
-Car will only start if a professional OBD2 SnapOn scan tool is used to clear the ECU. Then I can flash to stock, then my map, and it will start.
-Car will only run for a day like this. After sitting overnight, will not start again.
-All signs point to "recovery mode", but when hooked up to laptop and keyed on, FP manager shows green checks next to "Driver, Flashpro, OBDII, ECU"
-Fuel pump is priming when keyed on.
-Uploads of Maps with FP are timed at 1min 49 sec. All uploads, say "successful".
- I have repeatedly tried unhooking the battery, flashing to stock, then my map. Does not work.

Is this possibly a problem with my ECU itself? I did notice one thing today, and that is that the OBD2 port on the car is slightly loose, but it has always been like that. I have always had success with my flashes until i upgraded the software and drivers to the newest version.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

With everything plugged in and the key in the on position, go to the Help menu and click on send information to Hondata support. Make sure you include a detailed description of the problem.

When you say the green check turns to a red X when trying to start, does it do this as soon as you turn it to the on position, or only in the start/cranking position?
blindpenguin

Post by blindpenguin »

I'm charging the battery now, i will do the "send support information to hondata" as soon as it's back. Do i need to be connected to the internet as well to do this?

The green check turning to a red "x" occurs only when the key is in the start position.

Also, i took the car back to my mechanic and we have pulled two codes from the car that we previously cleared when we had gotten it started. They are as follows.

85-1: FCAN communication failure
84-1: Sensor logic failure

When i checked for codes in flashpro manager, nothing shows up. These codes only show from the SnapOn scan tool we are using. Would these codes prevent a start?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It sounds like your battery was dead or you have some bad wiring with the battery that is causing this issue.
blindpenguin

Post by blindpenguin »

The battery went dead twice trying to start it due to the sheer number of times i had reflashed to stock then my modified map. Both times it has taken a charge well. The battery is less than a year old.

So should i be looking at my grounds then? I did have the ecu ground on the fuel rail, but relocated it to the valve cover. I have it connected in two stacked connectors on a valve cover bolt. (Pic attached)

The battery ground is in the stock location and has never been touched. It's well connected and clean, not corroded at all. Would i benefit from relocating it to a better spot?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

No picture was posted.
blindpenguin

Post by blindpenguin »

Sorry, here is the pic.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1460727797723.jpg
FB_IMG_1460727797723.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 6319 times