Anyone who is having Cold Start Issues

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
Spunkster
Site Admin

Anyone who is having Cold Start Issues

Post by Spunkster »

If you are having any cold start issues, please help us by providing some information and performing some tests.

Information:
- Modifications which could affect starting eg injector size, fuel rail, intake type, turbo charger.
- What base map did you start with eg Civic-Si-6-SkunkHdr
- How long the engine takes to start.
- What coolant temperature do you notice the starting issue.
- What time interval is required before the engine is hard to start.

Tests:
- Upload a return to stock calibration and test the start.
- Upload the un-modified base calibration (eg Civic-Si-6-SkunkHdr with no changes) and test the starting.
- Try the Civic-Si-2-Tuned or Civic-Si-2-Tuned-RH.

Note that you can't do a cold start, switch the engine off, and then do another 'cold' start - the intake valves would be a different temperature and the fuel deposits on the intake /cylinder head walls would be different too.
If you have a tuned calibration it is possible to upload a base calibration when the engine is cold, test the cranking, then switch the engine off and upload your regular calibration. People with non-stock injectors should upload the Civic-Si-2-Tuned or Civic-Si-2-Tuned-RH calibration, changed the injector size and test starting in this method.
Pir8pete

Post by Pir8pete »

Will do, just received my fp unit today, but heres a vid of what it's doing on the ct-e stage2 reflash only.

-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkn7jXev3Vo

I have just flash the base map and got my curse control fix, now for the cold starts. I will datalog it in the morning
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Installing the FlashPro is not going to help your starting issues - you should address them first.
It appears that there is not enough fuel when cranking - check that the fuel pump modifications did not result in the top o ring leaking. Also check the spark plugs.
Hondata
Silversweet09

Post by Silversweet09 »

I noticed yesterday for the first time, temperature was ~65 degrees, my car was hard to start. It started, and it was like it wasn't getting enough fuel as it struggled to stay running and was fluctuating around 500 rpm's.

My current mods are:

- Vibrant RH (cat delete)
- Fujita SRI
- Vibrant Gen2 cat-back
- Street tune by Magnesium

I will try to start the datalog before I start my car this morning & post up more information if it happens again.

Thanks!
Silversweet09

Post by Silversweet09 »

Hondata,

Went out today, weather was about 75, first startup since yesterday & the same thing happened.

I'm attaching a datalog to hopefully help troubleshoot what might be causing this.

Also attached is my current calibration I'm using.
Attachments
Cold_start_issues.fpdl
(956.11 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
silversweet(7).fpcal
(72.27 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Thanks for a calibration & datalog. Can you upload a return to stock and make a datalog of starting of a cold start?
Hondata
Silversweet09

Post by Silversweet09 »

Yes, will do tomorrow.
COMplex

Post by COMplex »

I'm having a similar issue, and it didn't happen until installing a fuel pump and switching to e85.

I just figured it was an e85 issue, but maybe it's the same issue every here is having.

If I flash to 'return to stock' does it matter that I have a +25% fuel trim for e85 and 650cc injectors? I would think the car wouldn't start at all if I did a return to stock flash.
[COMplex] »»» civic.plex.nu

» Comptech Supercharged 2006 Honda Civic Si
» Information | Teaser Video
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

In your case a return to stock comparison is not possible. A datalog and calibration would help though.
Hondata
Silversweet09

Post by Silversweet09 »

Hondata,

I wanted to update you on the my post regarding the Cold Start issues. When I had submitted my original datalog and calibration, I had also reached out to Magnesium and let him know of the issue.

I've been very busy as of late, but he did send me an updated calibration, which I loaded this morning and didn't have the issue. I'll post up that datalog tonight, with the calibration, and will ask him what exactly he changed.

Hopefully this will help you guys out.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Thanks for the feedback. We suspect that it may have something to do with the base calibration used - so ask what was used for each calibration.
Hondata
Silversweet09

Post by Silversweet09 »

Well, I didnt have the problem on the base calibration, but a modified base calibration (Magnesium used that as a starting point before doing a street tune for me). Now, this issue could have surfaced on the base map I had, however it was much warmer when I was running that MAP. I doubt he changed the cranking fuel trims from the basemap anyway.

After loading the updated MAP this morning, it didn't do it. He added 5% fuel to the cranking trims. I'll upload the datalog and the new calibration later tonight. I'll also confirm over the next few days if this truly fixed the problem.

Thanks!
Silversweet09

Post by Silversweet09 »

Another successful morning without the issue!
badazzsi

Post by badazzsi »

I have cold start issues but I think that it only happens when I have about quarter tank of gas. I'll keep wath of it and try and get the info u guys need. And I can't revert back to stock since I have the cte stage 2. I haven't messed with the cal so that's not the problem.
Sven

Post by Sven »

badazzsi wrote:I have cold start issues but I think that it only happens when I have about quarter tank of gas. I'll keep wath of it and try and get the info u guys need. And I can't revert back to stock since I have the cte stage 2. I haven't messed with the cal so that's not the problem.
Exact same here. If I'm under a 1/4 tank, it's hard to start. Any more gas in the tank than that, and it's usually not a problem. I live in North Dakota, so I'll be running around in the snow detuned anyway, so the cold start issue doesn't bother me that much. Just a little input...

Edit: And really, it's gotta be a coincidence unless I have bad gas at the bottom of the tank or something...can't think of how that would change things.
-Sven
09 Si Coupe