Will .png or .tiff ever be supported?

Place your display templates here with a screen shot of it for previewing.
civicbynature

Will .png or .tiff ever be supported?

Post by civicbynature »

Dear Hondata, (and any others who may agree)

I would love to see smanger display support .png and/or .tiff. This would greatly advance the productivity and user ability of the displays that can be used/made. To my knowledge .bmp does not support transparency. and pngs do. Since smanger display already uses layers. With this capability overlapping images could become a most valuable feature.

civicbynature.
Project Diamond: 93' Coupe B16a N/A
Project Frankenstein: 91' CRX-SI H22 N/a
Project Master blaster: 96' Hatch K-Series
Project ISIS: 92' Hatch D16y8 WIP
SDHonda153

Post by SDHonda153 »

I would Love to see this as well. The display possibilities would be a lot broader with these formats.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

As far as I can remember transparancy was possible with bitmaps, based on the color of one corner. I'll look at again when I get the chance.
Hondata
dc2_turbo

Post by dc2_turbo »

Any word on this.. I would love that support as well. It would allow so many different possibilities when making templates!
94 Integra GSR-T
Urbandisturbance.net
civicbynature

Post by civicbynature »

I did some follow up research on this transparency dilemma.

Here is what i have found out.

"Bitmap images in general do not inherently support transparency. A couple of specific formats--namely GIF and PNG--support transparency. In addition, most image editing programs support transparency, but only when the image is saved in the software program's native format. A common misconception is that the transparent areas in an image will remain transparent when an image is saved to another format or copied and pasted into another program. That just doesn't work"

Basically .bmp can function as a transparency only if the area's in which you want to be transparent are a specific color that the program looks for to hide. This is in fact how windows icons work.

So lastly yes we could use bmp's in hondata and use them in a way that emulates transparency but only if the software supports it. I suppose this is possible via some hard hours of coding or could be much simpler by just adding support for GIF's, PNG's,TIFF's

Preferably not gif's tho cause they only support 256 colors. but I'd be happy with what ever could be considered.

thx in advance....
Project Diamond: 93' Coupe B16a N/A
Project Frankenstein: 91' CRX-SI H22 N/a
Project Master blaster: 96' Hatch K-Series
Project ISIS: 92' Hatch D16y8 WIP