Blue screen when plugging in RE4 cable.

ROM Editor 4 tuning software questions and answers.
sander

Blue screen when plugging in RE4 cable.

Post by sander »

I have windows XP, with the newest version of RE4.

I just purchased the RE4 cable. Went to plug it in with the software open, and get a blue screen, and the computer resets on the account of a 'fatal error'

This computer is a refurbished IBM T40. Is there anything that you all have seen similar to this issue? I havent had any troubles with Smanager or Kpro, both of which I have used on this laptop and have had no issues.

I have a number of other ECU software programs on here if that makes a difference with any of the USB drivers. (motec, old and newer V3, electromotive, accel, AEM).

Thanks!

sander
learning.
sander

Post by sander »

Please excuse my ignorance. I will uninstall the USB drivers, and re install with the FTDI fix and report back.

Sorry for the possibly unneeded post.
learning.
sander

Post by sander »

For those of you that have this problem, follow the driver fix instructions to the letter posted here.

http://www.hondata.com/techre4ftdiupdate.html

Your problems will be no more.

Sander
learning.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Unfortunately the USB interface chip we use (FTDI) has become very popular, so often other applications will upgrade the driver version without telling you. Even worse, the majority of hardware just uses the default ID for the USB, which causes conflicts.

Glad to see you sorted it out.
Hondata
bonso

Re: Blue screen when plugging in RE4 cable.

Post by bonso »

sander wrote:I have windows XP, with the newest version of RE4.

I just purchased the RE4 cable. Went to plug it in with the software open, and get a blue screen, and the computer resets on the account of a 'fatal error'

This computer is a refurbished IBM T40. Is there anything that you all have seen similar to this issue? I havent had any troubles with Smanager or Kpro, both of which I have used on this laptop and have had no issues.

I have a number of other ECU software programs on here if that makes a difference with any of the USB drivers. (motec, old and newer V3, electromotive, accel, AEM).

Thanks!

sander
Hi i have the same problem on RE4 0191 cable. I've used the usb fix from the site for 0171 but still having that blue scren error. you think i need a usb fix for 0191? thanks in advance..
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Have you followed the instructions at the bottom of the page for the blue screen error?

bonso

Post by bonso »

Spunkster wrote:Have you followed the instructions at the bottom of the page for the blue screen error?

Yes i have followed the instruction but still having the same issues when plugging in the RE4 cable and open the RE4, still getting the blue screen error and my laptop shuts off and restarts.. i have a #0191 cable.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

At what step of the instructions are you having the problem?
bonso

Post by bonso »

Spunkster wrote:At what step of the instructions are you having the problem?
Onthe instructions for upgrading the RE4cable to fix usb problem. when i click start, the blue screen error appears and restarts the program. Do i have a bad RE4 cable?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What start and what step?

Stop 0x000008E in usbport.sys

If you get a 'blue screen of death' with this message, then you have successfully disregarded instructions so far, and your USB drivers have been updated without the fix being run. If you are getting a 'blue screen of death' with a different message than above, it is not from the FTDI USB drivers. Blame something else.

The V2.04.06 (or later) FTDI drivers must be uninstalled and replaced with older version FTDI drivers so that the driver fix can be run.

Unplug all non-vital USB devices.
Download the driver fix setup file here.
Run the setup file.
Run the FTDI driver clean utility (Start menu, 'Programs', 'Hondata', 'FTDI Driver Clean'). Select 'Clean System'.

Plug in the RomEditor4 cable. When prompted for USB drivers, select C:\Program Files\RomEditor4USBFix.
Run the driver fix utility (Start menu, 'Programs', 'Hondata', 'FTDI USB Driver Fix').
Repeat #6 for any other RomEditor4 cables.
Uninstall the driver fix utility (Start menu, 'Programs', 'Hondata', 'Uninstall FTDI Driver Fix').

Download and re-install RomEditor4.
Open the device manager.

Rick click on 'Hondata USB/Serial', and select 'Update Driver...'. If prompted, select the RomEditor4 installation directory for the drivers.
bonso

Post by bonso »

Ok i will give a try again and report back later
thanks
bonso

Post by bonso »

Sorry for my ignorance aswell. my cable is now working after reinstalling with the usb fix. thanks a lot

bonso