H22 newbie calibration

Calibrations for S-Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)
Grigg1

H22 newbie calibration

Post by Grigg1 »

I have uploaded my calibration and a couple data logs as the car is not running great.

Does anyone have the time to take a quick look?

Setup:
Stock H22A2
SK2 IM
310 injectors
Lightened Fly Wheel
Attachments
13.4.19.s3d
Idle
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 183 times
13.4.19, rpm increase.s3d
Stationary idle increase
(885.86 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
13.4.19.skl
My Latest Calibration
(45.08 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: H22 newbie calibration

Post by Spunkster »

HAs this been properly tuned on the dyno?
Grigg1

Post by Grigg1 »

Spunkster wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:37 am HAs this been properly tuned on the dyno?
Nope

This MAP is a result of me data logging on the street and adding/taking fuel etc.

Started out with H22 stock MAP.

Nearest dyno 4 hrs drive away that tunes hondata
skaterguy1986

Post by skaterguy1986 »

Yikes, can see why it doesn't wanna run right, low speed map is all kinds of wrong. Looks like you also messed with the ignition timing map which you should have just left alone. I also notice that you have a -1.5V offset for the wideband input, that's way too much and the reading is going to be inaccurate most of the time, you need to run the wideband gauges ground wire to the thermostat housing. Since you seem to be using closed loop you may be trying to alter things while fighting the wideband making short term corrections, either tune in open loop or use short term fuel trim to see how much you need to adjust the fuel.

Try this map, it's for a H22A with a Euro R IM, 68mm TB, 8lb flywhel, EGR deleted, catalyst deleted, PLM Tri-Y Header and 2.5" exhaust. The injectors are stock. It will be looking for a AEM X Series wideband on D14 so you may have to go in and disable closed loop or alter that to whatever wideband you're using on whatever ECU pin you may have it going to. This map wont be perfect since the manifolds are different but it should run decently but will likely need some adjustment. Make sure to go in and set the TPS since that's not going to match. Gear ratio table also likely wont match, it's setup for a T2W4 box.

I've been picking away at this tune slowly with plans on releasing it here for others since it's a popular bolt on setup in the Prelude world.
Attachments
H22AEuroRIntakePLMHeader310cc.skl
(43.24 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
Grigg1

Post by Grigg1 »

Thank you for your detailed reply skaterguy1986 :), very much appreciate that

I have struggled with resolving the -1.5V offset. the wideband is common to the thermostat housing.........

The wideband ground is connected to ECU GND jumper harness which is grounded to the chassis and thermostat housing.

I also use a X Seires wideband into D14.

Looking forward to trying your map hopefully this evening.
skaterguy1986

Post by skaterguy1986 »

Should double check that ground, maybe the splice or butt connector you used is no good, also splice the brown analog(-) to the thermostat as well rather than running it to sensor ground like the directions suggest. This is what I did and I only have a 0.2v offset which is ideal.
Grigg1

Post by Grigg1 »

Skaterguy1986, WOW that worked a treat. its running so much better.

I ran the brown analog- to the thermostat and a 0 offset seems perfect. great advise thanks :)

I knocked the vtec down to 4000 from 5000.

Had to also disable IAC and ELD (not sure why i have this ELD error)

I also tried upload my data log from a little drive i had with the new map, but says file is too large.

Any improvements you think could be made please help :)

Thanks again
skaterguy1986

Post by skaterguy1986 »

Whoever you bought the ECU from likely had the ELD set originally as the wideband input and cut the resistors from the board.

I'd keep the VTEC where it was, probably making the car slower by having it that low but it is a different manifold and to get the crossover perfect you really need a dyno. The high cam shouldn't come in until before the torque of the low cam starts to flatten out.

If it's running decently enough you should probably take it to get dyno tuned.
Grigg1

Post by Grigg1 »

Ok ill back track the VTEC threshold to 6000rpm.

Yep, think the next step will be to get it dyno tuned.
skaterguy1986

Post by skaterguy1986 »

Pretty sure it was at 5500. The only time moving it around actually helps is if you've done some internal engine changes but for just bolt on's leaving the crossover at the stock setting tends to work the best.
BCMotors

Post by BCMotors »

skaterguy1986 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:19 pm Looks like you also messed with the ignition timing map which you should have just left alone.
That's what we told him a week ago...
BCMotors wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:07 am
Ok, let's recap what we learned!!

1) idle air control, controls idle

2) speed limiter, limits speed

3) Rev limiter, limits revs

4) alt+ F4 will close SManager and save your engine from damage.
5) You're actually NOT SMARTER THAN HONDA'S ENGINEERS; and changing their timing maps won't help your stock motor.
InterAV

Post by InterAV »

skaterguy1986 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:19 pm Yikes, can see why it doesn't wanna run right, low speed map is all kinds of wrong. Looks like you also messed with the ignition timing map which you should have just left alone. I also notice that you have a -1.5V offset for the wideband input, that's way too much and the reading is going to be inaccurate most of the time, you need to run the wideband gauges ground wire to the thermostat housing. Since you seem to be using closed loop you may be trying to alter things while fighting the wideband making short term corrections, either tune in open loop or use short term fuel trim to see how much you need to adjust the fuel.

Try this map, it's for a H22A with a Euro R IM, 68mm TB, 8lb flywhel, EGR deleted, catalyst deleted, PLM Tri-Y Header and 2.5" exhaust. The injectors are stock. It will be looking for a AEM X Series wideband on D14 so you may have to go in and disable closed loop or alter that to whatever wideband you're using on whatever ECU pin you may have it going to. This map wont be perfect since the manifolds are different but it should run decently but will likely need some adjustment. Make sure to go in and set the TPS since that's not going to match. Gear ratio table also likely wont match, it's setup for a T2W4 box.

I've been picking away at this tune slowly with plans on releasing it here for others since it's a popular bolt on setup in the Prelude world.
Hello! I have pretty much the same engine same setup (besides the TB) in my Accord and I was curious if you had any other insight or tips and tricks on this particular setup.
skaterguy1986

Post by skaterguy1986 »

Sorry, haven't been here in a while but I don't know what you mean by tips and tricks with this setup. It's just going to require a redo of your fuel map if you went from a stock IM to the Euro R since they're very different, not really gonna be a bolt on and go modification like a cat back exhaust or a metal intake pipe with cone filter.