Rom emulator questions .

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
itr206

Rom emulator questions .

Post by itr206 »

I was told for the Rom emulator to work correctly it much have a constany power source so you dont lose your info when you shut the car off?

But if your using the Rom Emulator you wouldnt really need to shut the car off to burn the rom would you? Doesnt the Rom emulator go in the ecu then connect to the Chip burner with the chip . So that you can make changes without keep reburning and just do one burn for the tune. If im correct you can just burn the Rom right onto the chip without needing to shut the car off ?

Any info on this. . BTW this is for the oldschool 4b system
Carchitect

Post by Carchitect »

Yes and no. To initially download to the Romulator you will need for the car to be shut off.Then when you are making your adjustments the adjustments can be made with the car running. This really helps out during idle adjustments and the autotune feature (which I haven't mastered yet). If any adjustments are made with the car turned off I recommend downloading each time prior to startup. The Romulator uses backup power of its capacitors and can store data buffers within itself upto 8 hrs so you can use cigarette lighter to power your laptop and the Romulator will function w/o any trouble.

Joe.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want
08 IS350 Sport Package, Levinson, Nav, Radar cruise.
94 JZA80 6speed undergoing major weight reduction AKA 911 GT2 killer.
90 DA9 B18C5 retired auto-Xer
itr206

Post by itr206 »

i dont have the Romulator though. I have the Rom emulator. the oldschool one. I was told i need to wire my cig lighter to constant 12v for it to work correctly. i hear the faster laptops might get around it , but its iffy
mnludedvr

Post by mnludedvr »

i have the ROMulator and it runs off of a button cell battery which i've been told will last about a year. I've had mine since november 2003 and i just recently checked the juice left in the battery and it's still full.
itr206

Post by itr206 »

Well i hooked my lighter up to constant . seemed to work ok to keep the burner on . i tried the rom emulator and it wouldnt work . i took it out and noticed a pin broke off somehow . damnit, :cry: . im gonna resocket it today and see if i can get it working . reburning after changes everytime sucks ass. lol.
DaX

Post by DaX »

Are you using a ZIF? Cheap insurance man...I have one and I'll never go back!
itr206

Post by itr206 »

yea i just replaced it with another one i had laying around. i had a few of them stepped up that i was trying to use for the latch type socket in the ecu itself, but i couldnt get it to fit in with that module close to right behind the eprom.
DaX

Post by DaX »

I have one DIP socket soldered onto my ECU, and one low profile [it's blue] ZIF socket I ordered from Moates. It clears the smaller chip and the baro sensor, and the lid to the ECU still closes, with no holes cut.
itr206

Post by itr206 »

nice . ill have to check into that. i hate having to pry the chip out all the time .