Engine stuttering and drop in AF

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
dylans

Engine stuttering and drop in AF

Post by dylans »

Occasionally when I am driving around, especially when the car is hot and I have been driving around for a while, I have an issue where for a few seconds the engine starts stuttering and the AF ratio drop to the minimum on the gauge (10.0). It usually only happens at low MAP, low enough that it should be in closed loop. Although the car has been driven for a good amount of time, the water temps and IAT are not high enough that it should be an issue.

Here is a 14 second datalog I took last time it occurred. The problem can be seen at about 3.5 seconds and then again at about 10.5 seconds. The AF ratio drops even though the injectors do not change, both instances occur around 400mbar of MAP. When looking at the datalog, the AF ratio drop to 10 and then goes straight up to 19.9, however, the 19.9 is not correct because the ELD voltage stays down at nearly 0 V, which corresponds to an AF ratio of 10. If you need to see the calibration I am using just let me know

Thank you!

Oh and here is car info:

'96 Civic DX
Stock B18B1
Attachments
badstuff2.s3d
(95.15 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
k_boi

Post by k_boi »

thats what happens to me too, on my 00 civic si stock b16a2 with just bolt ons.. anyways, mine does it when Im about to leave in first or when just crusing in idle. Its werid man I know how you feel. NEED SUGGESTIONS..
Brian
Elevated Speed
Kauai, Hawaii 96752
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

without the calibration it is hard to see what is actually happeneing or driving the actions.
dylans

Post by dylans »

Touche.
Attachments
p74_better_resolution2.skl
(34.41 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You have 8% long term fuel trim so it looks like you need to do some more part throttle tuning to get this so that it stays as close to 0 as possible.
dylans

Post by dylans »

Doesn't that mean it is adding 8% more fuel? It is adding so much fuel because I already leaned out the lower end (below 500 mBar) a ton. That didn't fix it at all.

It doesn't seem like it is actually adding too much fuel. There is a huge jump in AF ratio with almost no change in injector pulse width. I can keep trying to lean out the bottom end but when I am not in closed loop it is already running 16.0+ AF ratio so it seems like it is lean enough, Plus, it only occurs when it is hot outside and the car has been driven for a decent chunk of time.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

By leaning it out more you are making the problem worse. If you have an 8% long term trim it is running 8% too lean and needs to be richened up.
dylans

Post by dylans »

You're the boss Spunkster. I will richen up the lower end and post up a new datalog and calibration if it happens again.