USB Device not recognizeds

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Killa-X

USB Device not recognizeds

Post by Killa-X »

So I get this error with an HP omnibok 6100 laptop,and it just keeps saying usb device not recognized. I go into device manager and hondata s300 isn't an option, its like it never even gets to the installing new hardware thing.

Is this a socketing problem, a usb 2.0 problem? Anybody with any ideas?
Killa-X

Post by Killa-X »

So i'm looking around and find this thread.
http://www.hondata.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4131
and the guy posts this at the end.

Sure..
they said there wasnt enough soldier on the tips of the chip..
I wasnt getting a signal for the usb data stream..

Could this be my problem? The laptop notices there's some kind of usb device right away, but doesn't know what it is, so I think that either the s300 isn't sending it the right usb signal so that it knows its a hondata s300, or my laptop is junk and doesn't know how to understand the s300. Do I have to have a usb 2.0 pcmci card for this to work with an older laptop?

I'm trying a friends new dell laptop tomorrow to route out the dumb computer possibility. I tested this ecu before the s300 install and the car drove fine, so I know the ecu is good, and I paid $52 from a electronics repair store to install the s300, and I know they've socketed ecus before.

Any suggestions?
Killa-X

Post by Killa-X »

Okay tried a new laptop and it did the same thing.

Took the top off the ecu and noticed that there were no lights, red or green. I took the ecu out and unplugged the hondata board, checked the connections and noticed that the installer didn't desolder a resistor when he installed a jumper wire. (this was for the auto to manual conversion and wasn't for the hondata.

I then realized that installer didn't get the 4 pin header into the board of the s300.

I put it all in and now a solid red light comes on.

Now the laptop finds the s300, I installed the driver files, downloaded the calibration from the ecu, and it was messed up, I uploaded a stock p28 calibration and the green light popped on.

Now the car seems to run fine, and when you turn the ignition on, the red light blinks for .5 sec and then solid green, but i'm curious why I had to upload a calibration to get the green light??? Does the s300 lose its settings if you pull the ecu out of the car, or is it stored on some sort of eeprom chip that will save the data?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Glad you got it sorted out. The s300 needs to see a valid program in the ECU before the gree light comes on - which won't happen until the socketing etc is ok.
Hondata
Killa-X

Post by Killa-X »

It makes sense that the green light won't come on until the socketing is done correctly, BUT does it have to be socketed and have a properly uploaded calibration too?. The green light didn't come on for me until I uploaded the p28 stock maps/calibration.

When I got it socketed correctly and turned the ignition on, the red light was on, but the smanager said it was online. I then downloaded the calibration from the ecu, and it was messed up. I attached that calibration to this post.

Then I opened the stock p28 calibration in smanager, uploaded it to the s300 and instantly the green light turned on.

I think its working now cuz the green light is on, but i think the guy screwed up the p28 auto to manual conversion. Could this cause problems? He cut the rp18 and rp17 resistor, but the jumper that he put on the rp18 was only soldered to one side properly, so now its not making good contact on the other side.

SO, would the lack of this rp18 jumper wire working properly cause the green light to flicker? I am going to resolder this myself today or tomorrow, but I was just wondering what the lack of an rp18 jumper would do. Hopefully it didn't fry the s300 board.

(edited because of screw up with me mistyping rp17 when I meant rp18. Correclty written above.)
Attachments
killax stock map.skl
This was the downloaded calibration from the s300 after it was socketed. Its a wonder that the motor ran. Good old Honda reliability baby!
(16.92 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Last edited by Killa-X on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

there should be no RP17 when converted to manual. THere should only be a jumper on RP18
Killa-X

Post by Killa-X »

My bad I wrote those backwards.

There is nothing on rp17 on my ecu, and there is a jumper on rp18, but only one side of the jumper was connected properly.

Sorry for the mistype.

I also read on the net that for an auto ecu converted to manual needs this:

"you should have 2 ceramic disc caps installed @ C51 and C52 these help to condition the power that is being sent to the chip. These are not required for raw functionality. However, it is a very good idea, they need to be 0.1?f ceramic disc capacitors rated at 12v or higher."

"Also I saw elsewhere that I need a 1.1K ohm resistor into R54 location"

Is this true? Do the manual ecu's have these? Do I need these, or is it a good idea? I figured who better than Hondata would know the answer.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

http://www.hondata.com/downloads/s200%2 ... manual.doc

Just follow the instructions in the installation manual.
Killa-X

Post by Killa-X »

Okay, he put the R54 resistor in correctly the first time, so I think the only thing i'm sitting on is this rp18 jumper.

Okay, any idea what the lack of a jumper wire on rp18 would do?