datalogging Freezes after 30 seconds or less

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
JDMLyfeStyle

datalogging Freezes after 30 seconds or less

Post by JDMLyfeStyle »

Well i went to try datalogging and after about 15-30 seconds of datalogging if freezes.

now the only thing that i think it could be is:

Recently my battery died on the laptop so i have the laptop running off a 200W power invertor would this cause the datalogging to freeze up?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

First try a different laptop to see if there is a problem with your laptop (if you have a Dell then for some reason Dell laptops come with software which prevents them from working very well) Next check the main engine ground (usually on the thermostat housing).
Hondata
JDMLyfeStyle

Post by JDMLyfeStyle »

Grounds are perfectly Fine im usuing a Toshiba laptop.
900mhz
388 MB Ram
battery is dead.

I dont have any other laptop i can test with. i ordered a new battery becausei dont think 200 w power invertor is gonna supply enough juice
smracing

Post by smracing »

I have a similar issue. I am using a Hell laptop. Usually if you unplug the USB cable and replug that will fix it, but it is a hassle when you are trying tune a car. I think it is a connection between the cable and the USB port that intermittantly breaks.
JDMLyfeStyle

Post by JDMLyfeStyle »

I ran an extension cord into the car and hooked up the laptop and it datalogged perfect. but as soon as i plugged it into the power invertor it froze up!

So it is the lack of Consistant Power to the laptop that caused the error.. i ordered a new battery and hope that it fixes it
airshifter

Post by airshifter »

I am experiencing the same problem now that I upgraded 1.1.0.0
wasn't doing that before I did, unplug the usb cable and back and it works again sometimes for a while sometimes not, and when it freezes up changes or uploades do not take place, changes or uplaodes don't ever freeze as long as datalogging is off
b20luda

Post by b20luda »

im having the same problem, i unplug and plug in the usb then it works for a while longer than frezzes again...anyone figure this out...its really irritating...im using an older laptop maybe the USB port isnt fast enough or something???
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

How is the laptop being powered?
Preccord00

Post by Preccord00 »

this is the exact problem I was having before, I found that it's interference.

I concluded this by multiple tests, I ran my laptop on battery power and it never failed unless I put the car in reverse, and my car is rigged with an electronic switch under the dash to activate the reverse lights because the person that did my engine swap wired it that way, whenever that switch deactivates it releases electromagnetic interference. inverters have a similure but more stable form of interference.

The only way you can resolve this interference would be to ground out all of the inverter's shielding to the vehicle and put a specific kind of diode in line with it to keep power from flowing backwards. Basicly what I'm trying to say is, large inverters are not specificly designed to work around EMI sensitive equipment, I'm going to be doing a test in the near future with EMI shielded USB cables to remove the cable of being suspect of vulnerability.

By the way, 200watts is MORE then enough power for a 1Ghz CPU, I can runn my 2.4Ghz with graphics card off of a 90 watt inverter. To give you an idea of how much energy a computer will draw at a given time, my home computer has a 64bit dual core CPU with a power hungry video card, 5 hard drives, a 5.1 klipche surround sound system, etc, etc.. and I only draw about 250-300 watts between idle and half load, so imagine what a power cautious laptop will draw. I would suggest 90-200 watts for laptops.

Sorry for the rant, I hope this info is usefull to someone.
civicbynature

Post by civicbynature »

I ran into this problem some time ago. After going to alot of trouble searching for other people with this problem. The answer is this. The s300 seems to have problems with some laptops using cheaper 1.1 usb ports. If you use a dell with 1.1 usb driver than you will experience the known freeze problem. DEll is known to use the cheaper provivder for parts. This occurs in many other models of laptops that use the same brand of 1.1 usb port. obviously you can't change the onboard usb port.But , if you are having this problem the best/only way to fix this is to by a 2.0 usb nic card for your laptop. and everything will work just fine. Hope this helps you. :)
Preccord00

Post by Preccord00 »

I'm concuring with the above statement, I did all kinds of tests to get rid of interference, but the final fix was to just go out and buy a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card for my laptop.

Just an educated guess as to why this is the fix; USB 2.0 is up to 40x faster than USB 1.1. This allows the USB controller that much more time to request error corrections for data that was ruined due to EMI (Electromagnetic Interference)

Another educated guess for all you on-board USB 2.0 people. Having USB directly on the motherboard may allow for interference to get further into the controller not allowing as much data correction as there would be if it were on the PCI BUS.

Take this info as you will, but my tests have concluded the above statements.

My tests were done on a DELL Inspiron 8200, with and without external power, attached to a 200watt inverter.