Hondata Boost Controller

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
christianshonda

Hondata Boost Controller

Post by christianshonda »

My tuner wants me to get the 4 port Hondata boost controller on my car before my next tune session. I have expressed to him I do not want to run boost by gear on this build as I would have to send the exit off again to have the bbg added into the existing. I am wondering this, is the 4 port Hondata boost controller just like any other boost controller or what is the electrical aspect to it? Does it require the use of boost by gear? Thanks in advance.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Hondata Boost Controller

Post by Spunkster »

It allows you to tune the boost levels using the Hondata and ECU instead of having a separate boost controller.

Please see: http://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/bo ... tsub=boost
DaX

Post by DaX »

Your ECU will not be able to control the solenoid unless you have the "BBG" upgrade done to your ECU.
crluver123

Post by crluver123 »

Almost all manual boost controllers on the market are absolutely terrible. They cause boost levels to fluctuate a LOT and very inconsistently with different climates, and adjusting them can be a huge PITA. With and without a manual boost controller, boost levels can be awkward too, meaning depending on the entire setup you can get boost creep or boost drop, which causes strange power curves. And being manually controlled with only one single setting, these effects can not be altered. Having an electronic boost controller allows you to alter all aspects of the boost curve for all conditions, climates, creep, drop, levels, etc, all controlled by the ecu itself. The best aspect of having ecu controlled boost is you can alter the boost level by RPM, not just gear. Which means you can alter the boost curve however is necessary to maintain a nearly flat torque curve, no matter how the engine performs naturally. This is best used for achieving highest possible power without exceeding a specific torque that could potentially break an engine or transmission component. And when combined with boost by gear, allowing you to have lower boost in lower gears, allows you to have the highest possible acceleration rates in each individual gear without breaking traction. It does require extra tuning time to dial in on the street to determine best levels, but if your goal is to actually have a fast and consistent car, it is by far the very best way to go.

Also to note, 4-port solenoids are usually only desired if you want to run a wide range of boost levels, using a small wg spring and still be able to achieve high boost levels in higher gears. In most vehicles, a 3-port solenoid is all that's needed and will achieve all the proper boost levels when the correct wg spring is used.

If you absolutely don't want to use a solenoid, and really want to use a manual boost controller, the ONLY manual boost controller I recommend is the Hallman MBC. It has the smoothest adjustments, is very consistent, and does actually work decent to prevent boost creep.