Quick Question for the Pros

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Kampfzentrum

Quick Question for the Pros

Post by Kampfzentrum »

First time Honda build, so navigating through this my first time.

I have a 92 Honda Prelude currently with a H23a1 (non-VTEC) that has been fully restored and have a H23a (VTEC) that I'm currently building. I've worked to get the car prepped as much as possible to receive the H23a (i.e. Rywire harness, TD60u distributor, etc.) and would like to drop an S300 in it while the H23a1 is still in it.

I'm assuming that the S300 is flexible and tunable enough to handle the H23a1, but is there anything I should know in advance? I'm assuming that when I buy the S300 I can request a base MAP for it and the modifications I've done (nearly all emissions are deleted), is this true?

I'd just like to throw that in here and see what kind of feedback I get.

Thanks in advance for help.
DaX

Re: Quick Question for the Pros

Post by DaX »

Yes, the S300 will work fine to tune the H23A1. Hondata does not provide base maps, other than the calibrations that are pre-loaded into SManager, and those are typically just used as a starting point. You could look in the vault to see if there is a calibration that will work as a good starting point for you (Window > Search Vault).
Kampfzentrum

Post by Kampfzentrum »

Thanks for the response.

So to be clear: I have to buy the S300, download/configure SManager to load the base MAPs, and install the S300 into my current ECU? Do most guys install themselves? I feel like a wrong install would void any warranty.

Are there any retailers that allow you to send your ECU in to be installed? If so, does it matter what kind of ECU? I have a P14 ECU in my 92 Prelude that is running perfectly, but I have a spare P13 that I wouldn't mind sending in to be chipped.

Suggestions?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The P13 and P14 ECUs cannot be used as they are not compatible with the s300. You must use one of the compatible OBD1 ECU's listed at: https://www.hondata.com/tech-obdi-ecu-reference
DaX

Post by DaX »

I have had two ECU's with Hondata in them, and for both of them I sent them in to Hondata for the installation. There are other vendors that will do the installation, though. If you want to send it in to Hondata, the form you need to complete is here: https://www.hondata.com/downloads/ecu_s ... g_form.pdf

I highly recommend having them do the reliability upgrade along with the socketing.
crluver123

Post by crluver123 »

If you aren't already, join the facebook group HONDA PRELUDE. Several of us including myself are Hondata dealers and can sell you a complete ecu with hondata installed. I personally don't have any ecu's in stock currently, so I can't quite help you beyond recommending who else to buy from. But as a prelude enthusiast, it is always good to support other prelude enthusiasts. Wherever you do buy from, I strongly recommend you do not buy from HA Motorsports, as they do absolutely terrible installs, very poor soldering, and often use ecu's that are damaged and need repair by a third party.