Tuning in Open loop vs Closed loop

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
TheLawProject

Tuning in Open loop vs Closed loop

Post by TheLawProject »

I continue to fine tune my street tune. I may be trying to be too precise with the fuel tables. I changed the target AFR’s to 15.0 for a little better fuel economy, and WOT at 13.0:1. I have made many little adjustments when in open loop to get every possible cell to be as close to that 15.0:1 mark. WOT is right at 13.0:1 all the way up +/- .1
I have also changed the “target voltage” in the advanced closed loop parameters to 3.2, which when referring to the AEM wideband voltage table is 15.0:1. Now, when I set the s300 to run in Closed loop ( target voltage ) it seems to run a little rich. After it’s warm, and I drive for the first 10 minutes, I’m seeing swings from 14.6 - 15.5 . My S. Trim is -8 to + 3. Then it seems to settle around 14.3 - 14.7.

Is this Normal? Are there any suggestions or settings I should change?

Thank you in advance!!
TheLawProject

Re: Tuning in Open loop vs Closed loop

Post by TheLawProject »

TheLawProject wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:12 pm I continue to fine tune my street tune. I may be trying to be too precise with the fuel tables. I changed the target AFR’s to 15.0 for a little better fuel economy, and WOT at 13.0:1. I have made many little adjustments when in open loop to get every possible cell to be as close to that 15.0:1 mark. WOT is right at 13.0:1 all the way up +/- .1
I have also changed the “target voltage” in the advanced closed loop parameters to 3.2, which when referring to the AEM wideband voltage table is 15.0:1. Now, when I set the s300 to run in Closed loop ( target voltage ) it seems to run a little rich. After it’s warm, and I drive for the first 10 minutes, I’m seeing swings from 14.6 - 15.5 . My S. Trim is -8 to + 3. Then it seems to settle around 14.3 - 14.7.

Is this Normal? Are there any suggestions or settings I should change?

Thank you in advance!!
Or if it’s more consistent in Open loop, can I just run that all the time?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You can try making changes to the rate of change settings in closed loop advanced. You can also try running in open loop and see if that works better for you. Since it is fully tunable and every setup is different, you have to do what works best for you.
TheLawProject

Post by TheLawProject »

What should I set the rate of change values to?

Also, when it is in closed loop target voltage, is it always targeting 14.7 or is it targeting the voltage value that I set?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You will have to see what values work best in your situation.

The target is whatever you set it to. This is up to you as it is fully tunable.