SManager getting detected as virus

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
CalibratEd

SManager getting detected as virus

Post by CalibratEd »

Hello all,

Recently my antivirus (Webroot) has been detecting my SManager software as a Trojan virus.
Software version: V2.7.5.0 28 Feb 2020
Has anyone else had this issue?
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: SManager getting detected as virus

Post by Hondata »

You can check the digital signature is valid on the executable if you think the file you have has been altered, but it is a false position from webroot.

We used to submit samples to the anti virus people but stopped doing this a number of years ago since there are 70+ companies to deal with and they change their heuristic rules at will, which results in false positives like this, and also we would have to do this every single update. We also used taggants which were designed for the AV industry to verify files were genuine but the anti virus companies never adopted taggants so the servers were shut down in 2018.
Hondata
CalibratEd

Re: SManager getting detected as virus

Post by CalibratEd »

Hondata wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:54 am You can check the digital signature is valid on the executable if you think the file you have has been altered, but it is a false position from webroot.

We used to submit samples to the anti virus people but stopped doing this a number of years ago since there are 70+ companies to deal with and they change their heuristic rules at will, which results in false positives like this, and also we would have to do this every single update. We also used taggants which were designed for the AV industry to verify files were genuine but the anti virus companies never adopted taggants so the servers were shut down in 2018.
Thank you for the information. I did not think it was altered i figured it was a false alarm. What i find interesting is that it only detects the SManager.exe file and not the SManager64.exe. I will just ask the AV software to ignore it.

Thank you