Changing dead times on a pretty much finished tune?

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Teck09

Changing dead times on a pretty much finished tune?

Post by Teck09 »

Hi all, I have a question regarding injector dead times. Is there a general rule of thumb for adding/subtracting fuel when altering them on a fully tuned map? I am guessing there isn't but figured I'd ask anyways. The dead times that are currently being used are FAR lower than what the Smanager has as the defaults for the ID 1000's that I am running. If I understand dead times correctly they represent the amount of time that the injectors are shut/off. Larger number = shut/off longer = leaner?

When the car was initially tuned it was done so with a battery charger hooked up due to what at the time was thought to be a failing battery. In hindsight this was a very poor choice as it didn't allow the usual voltage fluctuation when the fans, lights etc were used. The wiring issues have since been corrected and I believe the corrections have seriously effected the way the car now runs under differing electrical loads. All the reading I have done suggests that the dead times are what need to be adjusted to compensate for voltage loss so I figured I should start there before getting into to much fuel map adjustment.

Aside from the aforementioned electrical corrections I also swapped cams which in turn leaned everything out. I have since added a little fuel to the whole map and have it running "decently" but in obvious need of fine tuning. Now mind you this is my first foray into tuning other than minor little adjustments here and there so I am learning as I go. I have done a ton of reading and am trying to pick up as much information/knowledge as I can.I appreciate everyone's time and thank you in advance for your patience.

-Ryan

At this point I am not sure if it useful or not but the calibration has been attached.

******Admin, I lost my username as I have been away for a while and am unable to retrieve it. I am also unable to message anyone as I have just created this new account. Can someone please help me so I can log in under my old username?******
Attachments
current tune 5-28-15.skl
(43.68 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Changing dead times on a pretty much finished tune?

Post by Hondata »

The injector dead times are very low (BTW the ID supplied dead times are also very low). Increasing them will add fuel. The effect varies with load, so under full load there is less effect than at very light load.
I would re-tune. You can correct the dead times and then perhaps reduce fuel based on the measured injector duration at each load point. eg if in column 10 the injector is 5ms, and your dead time has gone from 0.55ms to 1.1ms, then reduce the fuel about 10-12% in that column. Just a thought as I've not tried that method.
The very light throttle end is much more sensitive to the dead times than full load and you might find yourself pulling a lot of fuel at light loads.
Hondata
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Old username might be DA9's
Hondata
DA9's

Post by DA9's »

Thanks for the reply and yes the username was correct, cheers!! Anyhow,
Hondata wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:32 pm The injector dead times are very low (BTW the ID supplied dead times are also very low). Increasing them will add fuel.
So basically opposite of how I understood it, this is good to know. Would you recommend that I go even higher than what ID lists? If so, how do I go about figuring that out? This part of tuning seriously eludes me. It is an area that seems to have a major impact on everything else but I cannot seem to locate any tutorials or instruction when it comes to setting them up.
Hondata wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:32 pmeg if in column 10 the injector is 5ms, and your dead time has gone from 0.55ms to 1.1ms, then reduce the fuel about 10-12% in that column. Just a thought as I've not tried that method.
I think I am following (?) lol. How can I view the injector values for the individual columns/cells/rows?

What is the general rule for initial dead time setup? Do you tune at a single voltage and dead time, then adjust the other voltage dead times until the car runs normally in the already tuned area?

After I typed the above I did a little searching around and came across this ---> http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/inject ... rs.418584/

Seems pretty straight forward, in your opinion would this technique apply to our system?

Once again thank you for the help so far!

-Ryan
skaterguy1986

Post by skaterguy1986 »

Here is another guide though I haven't had the time to play with mine yet.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21081
DA9's

Post by DA9's »

skaterguy1986 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:42 pm Here is another guide though I haven't had the time to play with mine yet.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21081
Thank you, I read through it and the advise given somewhat mirrors the information I have found. I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks again,

-Ryan