On-board datalogging problems

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
frostvectron

On-board datalogging problems

Post by frostvectron »

Hi,
I am running the S300 v3 and am having issues with datalogging.

When I run the car connected to my laptop and recording, it runs great without any issues.

I had connected a switch to the power steering input at B8 to use the on-board datalogging function. When I test drove it like this, the car ran badly with lots of missing and wanting to die. The datalog showed sharp spikes on various sensors such as VSS, INJ, IGN. It also felt like it stumbled and would not want to rev above 4k rpm.

Initially I thought that I had wired the switch wrong, so I test drove it after disabling onboard datalogging and activating the switch to B8 just to see if somehow I was putting something weird into the ECU at B8. The car ran perfect again as if grounding B8 did not change how the car ran (which is good).

I then edited the calibration to force onboard datalogging to always be 'on'. When I did this, the car ran poorly again. Any tips on what to do to troubleshoot this? The ability to onboard log without use of a laptop is a pretty valuable feature for me. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: On-board datalogging problems

Post by Spunkster »

Using on board datalogging should have no effect on how the engine runs as the engine does not run from the K-Pro board, but from the ECU itself.
frostvectron

Post by frostvectron »

Helpful.

Okay, let me ask this, then: is on-board datalogging fundamentally different (in terms of what is being used on the ecu or s300v3 board) than recording data via USB on a laptop? I have issues with one and not the other.

Based off my observations, something is clearly changing when onboard logging is used.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

How exactly are you triggering on-board datalogging?
frostvectron

Post by frostvectron »

I've tried in two different ways, both with the same result:

1) via manual switch Pin B8
2) Editing calibration to set on-board datalogging to "always on"
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Post your calibration and a datalog showing the problem.
frostvectron

Post by frostvectron »

Uploaded.

170410_onboard_datalog2.s3d is the log obtained when using a manual switch at pin B8 with the car running poorly.
170410_laptop_datalog_short.s3d is the log obtained from the laptop logging and the car running very well.
Attachments
170410_laptop_datalog_short.s3d
(5.19 MiB) Downloaded 152 times
170410_onboard_datalog2.s3d
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 129 times
ae86_ITBmodified3_advanced4.skl
(40.83 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I would recommend that you try the ECU in a Honda with a Honda engine and see if you get the same results as we have never heard of this type of problem.
frostvectron

Post by frostvectron »

Will give it a shot.

As a last ditch, I tried to use the "erase ECU" function to try and clear it and start over in case something was weird. The progress bar shows up and it gets to almost max and I get an error message saying "ECU did not erase".

Is that normal? Seemed weird to me. Tried several times with unplugging and restarting Smanager and turning the key to the off position.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

That should not matter and really has nothing to do with datalogging.