BBG Settings in Smanager, Boost Control Problems

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
crxdonwon

BBG Settings in Smanager, Boost Control Problems

Post by crxdonwon »

3 port MAC style solenoid other settings are posted closer to the end.

This is to help with the BBG solenoid setup. I will add things that are/were not clear to me, but this is taken from "LOCASH." So most of the credit will be for him.

First, test to make sure that the solenoid is working.

1. Set the boost control solenoid type to "Maximum boost at 100% duty/normally closed"

2. Set the boost control parameters. Do this by first enabling the boost control,
Click the bullet for "Fixed Duty Cycle" , enter 40% in that box.

3. Set the activation pressure to 0 psi, or whatever your Smanager is reading on the (MAP) Vacuum in the sensors.

4. Turn on the ignition (do not start the car) and upload the program.

At this point, the solenoid should be buzzing. You may have to get your ear close to it or use a Mechanic Stethoscope to hear it. If it is not making noise, verify that the PWM components were properly installed, have the solenoid tested, or re-check electrical connections. Do not continue until the solenoid is working.

Solenoid connections are one wire from solenoid to A11(US) or A17(JDM), the other wire from the solenoid to 12+ with key on and when in run. The wires are not polarity sensitive due to the PWM being an alternating current.

If the solenoid works, verify the vacuum line connections:

Port 1 to Bottom port of wastegate and Tee'd to boost reference (preferrably on the compressor housing, but intake manifold will work as well).

Port 2 to Top port of wastegate.

Port 3 is vent through muffler.

Make sure you can blow air thru the solenoid, then put 12 volts on the solenoid and it will change ports, but you should be able to blow air thru it. any restrictions will cause issues.

Make sure the BOOST CUT is set to a SAFE point.

At this point, make a datalogged test run with the boost control parameters disabled (preferrably on the dyno) and it should run off the wastegate spring. If boost is uncontrollable right now, and it wasnt when originally running off the wastegate, perhaps there is a solenoid problem.

Also verify that your MAP sensor reads the same as your Vac/Boost Gauge. If it doenst then you will have to do your own math to figure the difference. Also if there is a difference make sure there isnt any restrictions causing it. Of course your MAP will be more sensitive to actual pressure than your gauge.

The next setups are "suggestive" settings.

Assuming all went well on the first test, set the fixed duty cycle to 30% and make another datalogged run. If the engine overboosted, try a lower duty cycle, say 20%, if the boost did not go up, try 40%. Once you have a higher boost level than running off of the wastegate, start making notes of what duty cycle equals what psi, ie:

30% duty = 9 psi
35% duty = 11 psi
40% duty = 14 psi
45% duty = 18 psi
etc.

Once you achieve the maximum desired boost level, you can then build your boost vs duty cycle table (if using gear based target boost), or you can just use your notes to make a duty cycle table.

The settings below are not going to be 100% accurate, but may help you with your Boost Issue.

So basically you need 2 settings.
1. Variable Frequency ( ) Hz
2. Fixed Duty Cycle ( ) %

The variable frequency will default to 78Hz. Change this first. Then adjust your frequency to get a more crisp response. If you notice a real high DUTY setting and not a "HIGH" boost, then try adjusting your FREQUENCY to put less work on the solenoid.

3 Port MAC 5.4 watt

Frequency Hz Approx Duty Range %
10Hz 7-90%
15Hz 10-89%
20Hz 15-86%
25Hz 17-80%
31Hz 20-80%
40Hz 26-68%

3 Port MAC C7 HI Frequency

31Hz 15-85%
40Hz 17-82%

4 Port MAC 5.4 Watt

10Hz 9-87%
20Hz 16-70%
30Hz 22-62%
40Hz 25-40%

4 Port MAC C7 HI Frequency

10Hz 6-90%
20Hz 10-80%
30Hz 14-70%

SAAB 900 Classic

10Hz 7-84%
15Hz 10-77%
20Hz 15-70%
25Hz 18-60%
31Hz 20-50%

The above soleniods, frequencys, and duty ranges were taken from "circuitse7en.net" I have not tested all of them to verify, I just added it to try and get help in one page and from one search.

If you are using Gear Based Target Boost, You will need to make sure that the Fixed Duty Cycle ( ) % is set to your highest setting for your max boost.
Don't forget to change your activation pressure to 2 or 4 psi. Then you can start playing with the quick spool feature.

Good Luck, Hope this helps someone.
blacksi76

Re: BBG Settings in Smanager, Boost Control Problems

Post by blacksi76 »

Great post! Im running the hondata 4 port boost solenoid and my tuner had a problem getting the boost settings correct. He found that if he changed the duty cycle even just a little rhe boost would jump alot, but i notice here in my calibration, hw has my frequency set at the preset 78 Hz, so maybe that was an issue. Also im running a tial V60 with a 7.5lbs spring and my lowest boost i can get is lilke 13-14lbs, with a PT 6466 T4 turbo....but i get no creep whatsoever, i have a forward facing manifold built by one of the best in the business.
joeb

Re: BBG Settings in Smanager, Boost Control Problems

Post by joeb »

Just a little tip here . Pay close attention to the inlet and outlet of the boost solenoid . I was having issues and finally saw the problem . The boost solenoid was backwards .This made boost control very sensitive for me . I was about to give up on the Hondata boost control . Once i fixed this it works flawlessly .